Dexta Engine Dying. Fuel Low?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Ploughman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta Engine Dying. Fuel Low?

Post by Ploughman »

Twice recently the engine (diesel) on my 1961 Dexta has died on me. The symptoms are that after running for a while the engine revs dropped and then the egine just stopped. Each time I have been going up a medium gradient and also crossing a sloping field. The first time I got the tractor onto level ground, left it for a while and it then re-started without any problems. The second time it happened I checked the fuel tank and although there was some fuel in the tank it was getting lowish so I re-fuelled (20 litres filled the tank) left the tractor for a while and thenit re-started without any problems and ran OK. I didn't need to bleed the fuel system. Anybody got any ideas? Have I just run the fuel too low whilst working on a gradient and a slope? As a newbie to Dextas I would be grateful for any help.

Alan.

1961 Dexta

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta Engine Dying. Fuel Low?

Post by Bensdexta »

Is the fuel tank clean and the in-tank filter clear?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi Ploughman,
I had that trouble with mine a couple of times. I took the diesel fuel line going to the fuel pump off to see how fast the fuel was flowing, mine wasn't flowing very fast. I ditto what Ben said, your screen filter inside the tank may be dirty not letting enough fuel flow down to the pump. If this is the case you will have to take the fuel tap off, because the filter is attached to it. To the best of my recollection you will have to take the tank off to get the fuel tap out if it's an original. If it's after market without the primer pump you can take it off without taking the tank off. You can kill two birds with one stone by taking the tank off you can give it a good cleaning. A good steam jenny pressure cleaning will work wonders on it. If you have to do this I would also clean the fuel tap and make sure there isn't anything hindering the fuel flow.
Hope this helps.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Ploughman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ploughman »

Many thanks to you both for your suggestions. The fuel tank looks pretty clean (peered in with a torch) but I was not aware of the filter within the tank. Think I will try using my Dexta again (when this awful weather allows) and if I have any more trouble will then take off the fuel tap and filter. I think my tap will come out without removing the tank (I hope!!) but wish the tank was not full of fuel now!!. Meanwhile going to settle down with the workshop manual as it is still pouring down with rain here in Somerset which doesn't look good for our local 'Yesterdays Farming' Show this weekend.

Alan