Radiator

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Radiator

Post by naildriver »

Been a long time since I posted. Been enjoying my rebuilt Super Dexta, thanks to this forum.

I have not let my Sdexta overheat, but I have to watch it. If I work it hard, it begins to rise and I have to give it a chance to catch up. My radiator has 4 veins terminated due to the owner before me hitting something and ramming the headlights into the radiator. So it's not 100%. Probably more like 80%. I have decided to replace it. I wish to work it without a need to let up. I learned from rebuilding Sdex that aftermarket parts tend to be sub standard. So I'm concerned about ordering a radiator for it. I want it to be better than what I have now. Could anyone share any information that might be helpful as to keeping it cool under load and info about where to buy a quality radiator to fit ole Sdex

Mark
True Blue

Re: Radiator

Post by Mark »

Hi naildriver, you sure don't want to overheat you Sdexta, after all your hard work and money spent. I don't know where your location is so it would be hard to say where you could get a new one.
You have two options, 1, you could take it to a radiator shop and have a new core put in, using your original tanks or 2, buy a new after market radiator, but not knowing where you hail from again that makes it difficult. The radiator is not a rare item, it shouldn't be hard to find one where ever your at.
Hope this helps.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Mark wrote:Hi naildriver, you sure don't want to overheat you Sdexta, after all your hard work and money spent. I don't know where your location is so it would be hard to say where you could get a new one.
You have two options, 1, you could take it to a radiator shop and have a new core put in, using your original tanks or 2, buy a new after market radiator, but not knowing where you hail from again that makes it difficult. The radiator is not a rare item, it shouldn't be hard to find one where ever your at.
Hope this helps.
Mark
Hey friend, just outside of Charlotte NC. I fear getting a lesser aftermarket.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Charlotte NC is about a 6 or 7 hour drive from my place, home of Lowes motor speedway.
Do you have any reputable radiator repair people in your area? If you do that would be the way to go, so you could keep your original tanks..etc.
A friend of mine does this kind of work and I've watched him many times, when he gets done it's same as brand new.
Hope this helps.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I had my original rad re-cored - cost about the same as a new repro rad.

Is a fan shroud fitted to your rad? That is important for good cooling.

Also how many blades does your fan have? The standard fan has only two blades, but you can stack two fans at 90degs to give 4 blades and more air flow.

Also of course make sure your water galleries are clean and your thermostat working. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Thanks for the responses. Mine has 4 blades. No shroud. I would like to find a shroud. I wonder since 4 lines have been terminated due to the headlight being jammed into the radiator, can they fix with a recore, making it as good as new?????

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi. Yes, a re-core will completely replace the middle bit of your radiator (between the top and bottom tanks) so it will effectively be a new radiator.

And you really do need to get a fan shroud, as the lack of one will seriously lessen the effectiveness of your fan :wink:
Mark

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Where do I find a shroud. Tractor grave yards or online?

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

You can get one from here http://www.forge-services.co.uk/acatalo ... rsDex.html Might be a pain getting it shipped but I am sure they do it all the time.

DWD

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Contact Peter Smith at forge-services, very helpful and knowledgeable guy.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Finished my fan shroud. I went to a local Heat/air contractor and got some 24 gauge sheet metal. Basically other than the right angle that I had them bend for attaching it to the radiator, I bent a 6in box the shape of the radiator, clipped the corners about 3/4's the distance, bowed the corners to overlap, and attached the laps with small SS screws and lock nuts. I would have used rivets but my tools were 1 hour away on another job site. This made the cone shape. It was a little more tricky than it sounds since the fan was not centered to the radiator, but it turned out good. Maybe now I can work it hard without having to let up

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

naildriver wrote:Finished my fan shroud. I went to a local Heat/air contractor and got some 24 gauge sheet metal. Basically other than the right angle that I had them bend for attaching it to the radiator, I bent a 6in box the shape of the radiator, clipped the corners about 3/4's the distance, bowed the corners to overlap, and attached the laps with small SS screws and lock nuts. I would have used rivets but my tools were 1 hour away on another job site. This made the cone shape. It was a little more tricky than it sounds since the fan was not centered to the radiator, but it turned out good. Maybe now I can work it hard without having to let up
:clap:
Look forward to hearing how she goes! :wink:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Nail driver, can you post a picture of your homemade fan shroud? I made me one to about 10 years ago, it looks nothing like the original, but it serves it's purpose by keeping my girl cool. :clap:
See ya
Mark
See ya
Mark

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Mark wrote:Nail driver, can you post a picture of your homemade fan shroud? I made me one to about 10 years ago, it looks nothing like the original, but it serves it's purpose by keeping my girl cool. :clap:
See ya
Mark
Yea, if I can figure out how to post pics here. If I recall, after my rebuild, I tried really hard to show off my hard work, but failed to figure it out. I will try again.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Boy was I ever proud of Super Dex this weekend. I worked him hard while he stayed cool

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi m8

so the new shroud solved the over heating problem ??

mines never had one fitted ?
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

tom lad wrote:hi m8

so the new shroud solved the over heating problem ??

mines never had one fitted ?
combination of cleaning radiator and installing fan shroud. 100 % success. Cooling p :beer: :buddies: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :beer: :mrgreen: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: roblems over