Aldo, overheating solved?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

Aldo, overheating solved?

Post by terry274 »

Aldo, I was searching through the old forums and saw that you had an overheating problem with your tractor two years ago. Did you get this problem solved? I have not used my tractor enough to know if she will overheat, but I did notice that the temperature went to 190 just driving around, not working.
Thanks, Terry

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Was it that long ago? Seems like the other day. No, never did solve that problem. I t only happened a few times on hot summer days (35*C+, 100*F+) when working it for long periods, slashing long grass.

No shroud around the fan might be part of the problem.
Build up of trash on the front of the radiator also helped - I've contemplated turning the fan around, so instead of sucking air in, it blow air out, through the radiator (seen that on other tractors before, it keeps the radiator clean but then you are blowing hot air from the engine through the radiator).
Maybe its the water pump, worn out blades so poor circulation, will need to check that one day. Thermostat is okay.
But it's also slowly losing coolant, and I need to top it up a bit now and then. I suspect this might be the real problem, perhaps a blown head gasket? I can't see any external leaks, but the coolant is going somewhere! Any suggestions anyone?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The fan shroud will cure your problem as this aids the fan to pull air through the radiator. I am surprised that people remove it.

Don't like the idea of a pusher fan. These are usually used on industrial equipment which is worked stationary. When you are moving forward it could actually reduce air flow through the radiator.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Guys,

Are there a 2 or 4 blade fans installed on your machines?

We had to keep the rad on our '62 Super Dexta (with a 2 blade fan) completely squeaky clean in summer for over 40 years until I found from this board, looking at our neighbours Dexta and another Super Dexta that we bought a couple of years ago that there were 4 blade fans!
We also removed the thermostat for summer work and had to keep the coolant topped up as it would tend to overflow some.
This was for pulling a seed drill, baling or harrowing.
It did not overheat with lighter work like on the rake or sickle mower.
The dealer had told us back in the 60's that they just tend to run hot!!! Grrr!!

Les

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

My dexta's got a 4 blade fan, Les.

Thanks for bringing up this old thread Terry.
After posting my reply above, saying it could be this or that, I thought I haven't really had a good look at it lately. So I went out and looked at all the connections. Found one of the hose connections with a slight bit of moisture around it. Went to get a screwdriver, and just as i was tightening it up, there it was- one drop came from the water pump! So I sat down and watched it, a few minutes later another drip! So that's all it was, funny thing though, I've never seen a puddle of water on the floor. Time for an overhaul, and a fan shroud.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

I put two fan blades together to make a four blade fan on mine. They bolt together perfectly. Most everyone says that the two bladed fan is all you need, and that was all I needed until I overhauled mine. My machinist didn't bore my new sleeves out properly and I think that is why she ran a little warm. But the extra fan blade did the trick.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer