In gear but won't move

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
LindaS
Not Quite Blue Yet

In gear but won't move

Post by LindaS »

Hi,

Wonder if you can help me out - Yes a female needing help!

I have just installed a brand new double clutch in my Dexta and rebuilt the tractor. The clutch went in fairly easily - no loud bangs or crunching noises.

My problem is that though I can get the tractor to go into any gear it will not move. I can even put in in gear when the tractor is running and I don't get any "crunching noises" (like I would if I done it with my car). I have tried a few things e.g. starting the tractor in gear (both with the clutch connected and with the clevis pin removed) but the same thing happens - nothing tractor doesn't move. I can get the PTO to work. Yes I have tried both the Low or High gear.

Any advise would be appreciated as I have not experienced this before - and I really don't want to strip the tractor down unless I definitely know that the clutch plate is broken.

This is my very first full rebuild on my own - and was quite impressed with myself until I couldn't get the tractor to move!

Many thanks in advance

Linda

marcusgs
True Blue

Re: In gear but won't move

Post by marcusgs »

Hi Linda.

I think you need to adjust the clutch, which if I remember correctly on mine, I had to do by either lengthening or shortening the clutch rod (the rod between the pedal and the clutch cross shaft)

If i'm wrong, post back and let me/us know and we'll try and help again!

Mark
Mark

LindaS
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LindaS »

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried your suggestion unfortunately it made no difference. I can certainly feel the pressure on the clutch plate when I depress the clutch pedal. I have not touched the gear box - so don't think that is to blame.

Regards

Linda

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Can you push the tractor by hand with it in gear and the engine switched off? You shouldn't be able to!
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

it sounds to me as though the pressure plate may be adjusted incorrectly and therefore not engaging drive to the main drive plate. You say the PTO works but is the drive disengaging from it or is it rotating continually? These clutch kits I believe come pre-adjusted but we all know that manufacturing faults do happen. Where did you source the clutch from. Was it a complete kit fitted or simply the drive plates?
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

LindaS
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LindaS »

Many thanks for your suggestions.

When I put it in gear I am unable to push it (only about an inch) when it is out of gear I can push it no problem.

The PTO fully disengages and stops moving - it only moves when I put the PTO into gear.

Eventually after 9 months I got my new clutch - long long story from a tractor dealer in the Lothians. Anyway I got what looks like a brand new complete clutch - as I got my old clutch back (wasn't expecting this as they are normally traded in). It may have been a reconditioned unit I just don't know.

I will go back to the dealer and ask a few questions.

Many thanks

Linda