Genuine Roadless Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
David in Wales
True Blue

Genuine Roadless Dexta

Post by David in Wales »

This one at the Camrose Vintage Working Day near Haverfordwest in 2011

David in Wales
True Blue

Re: Genuine Roadless Dexta

Post by David in Wales »

The original 4wd system was invented by Selene in Italy using WW2 Jeep front axles fitted to Ferguson 20's and the larger ones to E27N's. They built the larger 4wd conversion using surplus WW2 GMC 6x6 truck front axles. The axle used for smaller tractors came from the WW2 Dodge Weapons Carrier trucks. The smaller & the larger axle kits were available for most makes of tractors in Europe.

Roadless Traction became the UK distributors in approx 1955-6, the original kits were sent over from Italy, later Roadless manufactured them in England under licence paying a royalty to Selene. Roadless only had the licence to supply kits for Fordson/Ford not other makes, but Selene didnt suppy any other manufacturers here. These axles continued to be used on the Ford 5000's, all sold under the name of Ploughmaster.

The kits for the Dexta & Super Dexta were built in Italy, shipped to England and fitted by Roadless .

dexta roadless
True Blue

Re: Genuine Roadless Dexta

Post by dexta roadless »

The axle used for smaller tractors came from the WW2 Dodge Weapons Carrier trucks. The smaller & the larger axle kits were available for most makes of tractors in Europe.
The axle made for the Dexta I believe is made from two different axles. The outer bits with knuccle and wheel hubs comes from Dogde and that is manufactured in inches. However the middle with the differential is different and made in metric. On my pinion shaft there is written "Dubosc 7x35". I heard many years ago that Dubosc was a factory in Romania or Hungary, but I have not been able to confirm that.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi