Injector pump problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mustard
Not Quite Blue Yet

Injector pump problem

Post by Mustard »

G'day all you Dexta owners.

I have had my '57 Dexta since a total rebuild in 2002 recently I had a leak in radiator and did the head gasket on her. I got the head checked and pressure tested and a small skim to correct any warp. While doing this I also had the injector pump and injectors checked over as she didn't have quite the power she used too over the last few months. The injectors needed doing up and the injector pumps diaphragm was looking a bit worse for wear the bloke told me that he couldn't get another diaphragm and since getting everything back together she runs in surges on idle but runs smooth on higher revs. Is this because of the crappy diaphragm. Any ideas anyone??

Cheers.
Mustard

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Re: Injector pump problem

Post by kiwiland dexta »

diaphrams readily available, replaced mine recently sourced from Dunlop's in Ireland, made a big difference to running!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Mustard
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mustard »

Thanks Kiwiland Dexta for the heads up on the diaphragm . I pulled it out the to see what the condition of it was like after i was told it was dodgy. No cracks no holes or even pin holes and the leather is still nice and supple so its not the problem. I also checked the Governor air filter capsule and this was clean and OK.
I checked the timing again as per the manual and re bled the fuel system it has a brand new fuel filter in it. The air filter has been cleaned and it makes no difference if its off or on. I rechecked all fuel pipe and vacume pipe fittings as well

In my earlier post I said that the engine did not surge at higher speeds but on further testing the engine surges at all speeds after reaching a certain speed after acceleration but the surging is much more pronounced at idle. Any other ideas anyone.

Cheers.
Mustard

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

This thread is from the old board, http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 00786.html

I still wonder about your diaphram...
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

My Dexta with a rebuilt engine, injector pump and refurbished injectors hunts when first started up when the engine is cold but, once she is warm she settles down to a steady idle. I suspect that this is a peculiarity of pneumatic governing and is something you have to live with.

Gerald

Mustard
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Mustard »

G'day All,and thanks for your inputs.

The problem was the diaphragm, as I was told right from the start. Let me explain.

The mob here in Darwin where I live did the injector pump up and didn't have and couldn't find a replacement diaphragm so he made one !!! He did a pretty good job too, but the aluminium outside edge wasn't crimped to well and there must of been a leak there somewhere although I couldn't find it. Also the leather seemed to be a lot thinner, maybe that was the problem ??

Anyway I got a proper new one off the net and low and behold it now runs at an even rate.Like a happy purring Cat. As Homer Simpson so eloquently puts it WOO HOO !!!

I don't know if i'm allowed to put the link to the Ebay mob I got the parts from but I'll put it here and let the moderator tell me if it's a No No. They have a bit of Dexta gear and prices were good and postage reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/md_tractors_ ... ery/m.html

Cheers all
Mustard