Soon to be my first dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Soon to be my first dexta

Post by tpm087 »

Hi all I am new here and at the very start of my Dexta journey.
I will soon be in possession of my first Dexta It is not quite a hedge row find, It has been parked up for 20 years and is in need of alot of work.

and its big brother hiding in the growth, this one is a super dexta

I think I have a long hard journey ahead and Im sure I will be looking for lots of help and advice

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Soon to be my first dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Great finds! :)
Yes, it will be quite a bit of work, but rewarding nonetheless. Get the pressure washer going - they'll look alot better. The good news is that all the parts are available.
Which one are you starting with? Get them both under cover if you can.
Look forward to hearing how you get on. :beer:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I aggree nice find, what really puzzles me though is what pocesses people just to simply park those tractors out under the heavens to rot away :?: :?: :?:. :cry: :scratchhead: :curse: . I suppose its for people like us to find and bring them back to glory :clap: :beer:

Mervyn

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

what really puzzles me though is what pocesses people just to simply park those tractors out under the heavens to rot away
Some people just have no appreciation for mechanical things. :cry: Could be the owner passed away and the family had no interest in it. Could be a multitude of reasons. Thankfully someone is now going to be taking the Dexta home to care for. :thumbs:
Good luck with your project
Chris

tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tpm087 »

Thanks for the replies and the good wishes.

I found out a bit of history of these today.
The super dexta was the first one owned, it worked a few fields, the owner was delighted to tell me about turning a 10" sod with a 3 furrow plough.
his brother then started using it to draw wood out of forests, the engine was getting tired and the dexta was bought after a full engine rebuild the loader was switched over and the dexta was left to work the fields while the super worked the forest, untill the block cracked with frost, it was then parked up over 25 years ago.
About 5 years after that the fields were set so the dexta tipped around for a while and was parked up too.

Bensdexta I am just putting up a shed/workshop which will be finished by the end of the month, there will be room in it for one of them, I am going to try get up a rough lean-too get the other one under.

I am going to start with the dexta I am told it was running well when it was parked up. From what I've been told the super probably needs a complete new engine

mervyn yea its terrible to see machines like this just rot away. to the owners i guess they were just an almost worthless tractor they had no use for and they park them up leaving them to rot away while ironicly they become scarce and sought after.

cvans Well I will try my best to restore them as they deserve thanks for the good luck, I am going to need it

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you got the serial nos & casting codes?
Any reg docs or reg nos evident?
Dexta is a 'New Look', so 1960 or later.
See if you can turn the engine over with a socket on the crank pulley, or a tow, or a screw driver in the starter ring. :wink:

tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tpm087 »

I havent braved the thorns yet to get the numbers and codes. but once I do I will put them up here
I have been told there should be reg docs "somewhere" for the dexta but no info about docs for the super yet.

I am like a kid with a new toy, I keep wanting to go and play with it, but I am being good and puting any spare time I have into getting the workshop finished first.

tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tpm087 »

Got a few minutes this evening to call up to the dexta to find the serial number.
I got greeted by the owner who told me there were a few other bits he wanted me to take along with the dextas, after a trek through the growth and briar's where he pointed out these items he left me have a look around, I snapped a few photos to see what you make of them.

By the time I actually got to look for numbers on the dexta light was running out on me, and I reckon the serial number is behind a bracket for the loader, Could this be the case?
The only numbers I found were on the rear axle N22D T3 on the R/H and N3D T4 on the L/H

I hope to get back up over the next few days and try get some more numbers

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi tpm087
Very interesting finds you have there.
If you want help then just ask, I live in N Somerset so if thats near for you then PM (private message) me.
Maybe if you entered your local area someone may offer to help with the physical stuff rather than the on-line expertise.
Cheers
Jerry
Camerton
Bath
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tpm087 »

thanks jerry
I thought I had my location in, sorry.
I am in the south of Ireland dont think there are too many on here local to me.

I Should be ok with most of the mechanical/ physical stuff its the knowledge/expertise I am really struggling with I have never really been into tractors :(

I dont have any idea what some of the pieces in the last lot of photos are or if they are past any form of restoration, but its an all or nothing package. it will be interesting looking into them.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi,
The two casting codes in your photos are N3D & N22D (I think). These are respectively 3Nov 1960 & 22Nov 1960.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I'm sure other forum members will be able to identify some of the hedge hiders you have there.
I think you have a Bamford mower in there at least.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tpm087 »

Bensdexta wrote:Hi,
The two casting codes in your photos are N3D & N22D (I think). These are respectively 3Nov 1960 & 22Nov 1960.
so that tied up with the newer front is putting it late 60 to 61, untill i get the loader off and find the S/N.

tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tpm087 »

Jerry Coles wrote:I'm sure other forum members will be able to identify some of the hedge hiders you have there.
I think you have a Bamford mower in there at least.
Cheers
Jerry
do you reckon any of it is anyway salvageable most bits look to be too far gone to me

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

tpm087 wrote:
Bensdexta wrote:Hi,
so that tied up with the newer front is putting it late 60 to 61, untill i get the loader off and find the S/N.
That's certainly an unusual loader you've got there. Most have Horndraulic or Mil Ioaders. Also have a look for the Engine # LH side towards the front below the head. Standard should start 14..., Super 16...
There is also the eng cast code, see sticky here on dexta forum. :wink:

tpm087
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tpm087 »

Bensdexta wrote:That's certainly an unusual loader you've got there. Most have Horndraulic or Mil Ioaders. Also have a look for the Engine # LH side towards the front below the head. Standard should start 14..., Super 16...
There is also the eng cast code, see sticky here on dexta forum. :wink:
Think its a quicke 2000 was originally on the super which coincidently I just found out was in the current owners possession in the 70's I wonder is it possible It is a one owner super?

progress on the workshop has stopped for now :(
and right or wrong, I an trying not to disturb too much around the dexta and super untill i can get them straight under cover.
I will see if i can get some more numbers off them