Hit a stump. STEERING problems

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Hit a stump. STEERING problems

Post by naildriver »

While bush hoging, I hit a stump. I knew it was there, not sticking up much, with the front right tire. It actually pushed the rotten root ball up out of the ground instead of going over it. Something popped. Now my steering wheel will twist off the shaft on left turns. So I have no capicity to turn left. I can turn right because it is threaded the way so that it tightens on a right turn but spins on the threads the other way. Imagine that a nut is your steering wheel and the bolt is your shaft. One way, after bottoming out will get results. The other way just spins. Now the question. What holds it? After looking at the schematics drawings, I can't see what ever held it. Something has to hold it????

dexta roadless
True Blue

Re: Hit a stump. STEERING problems

Post by dexta roadless »

It sounds to me that you might have knocked the cover holding the steering wheel bearing or the six bolts holding it. It's a small aluminium "donut" just beneath the steering wheel. You see if you take off the Small dashboard on the top.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

dexta roadless wrote:It sounds to me that you might have knocked the cover holding the steering wheel bearing or the six bolts holding it. It's a small aluminium "donut" just beneath the steering wheel. You see if you take off the Small dashboard on the top.
I can screw the whole wheel off the steering shaft.I wish I could post a pic of the schematics that shows this 2 piece shaft.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

gotta agree, sounds likely bearing is knackered ...possibly the 'top nut' also.

The bearing assembly holds the steering 'top nut' and steering wheel in place.... this 'top nut' is not the one you see
when assembled, but is the name in the parts book for the piece that threads over the steering shaft and has the splines for
the steering wheel.

If these have been turned up off the shaft, the balls (what's left of them) are likely in the bottom of the box. A steering box dis-assembly and overhaul is probably in your future.

The dexta steering box can be a bit confusing the first time you see one...causes lots of folks some head scratching at first....after you do one..piece of cake..

this thread might help explain it :scratchhead:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=2373

or try searching the forum....

Let us know how you get on and any problems...somebody can help......if you get seriously stuck, let me know..I'm about an hour's drive away.
Jack

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Thanks for the responses guys. The steering shaft is a 2 piece. My schematics drawings show it as # 14. Both top piece and bottom piece are #14. They are what has come apart. It looks to me like they should have a way to hold them together. That fast thread only holds one way. I really need to learn to post pics here

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Bensdexta wrote:For some pics of my box, see here:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... t=steering
I bumped this thread because second from bottom is the pic I wish to show

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Does this steering column move up and down or does it twist. If it moves up and down by way of the fast threads, then I may see my problem. If it twist, then...... It must move up..... gotta go look at my drawings.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

commander wrote:gotta agree, sounds likely bearing is knackered ...possibly the 'top nut' also.

The bearing assembly holds the steering 'top nut' and steering wheel in place.... this 'top nut' is not the one you see
when assembled, but is the name in the parts book for the piece that threads over the steering shaft and has the splines for
the steering wheel.

If these have been turned up off the shaft, the balls (what's left of them) are likely in the bottom of the box. A steering box dis-assembly and overhaul is probably in your future.

The dexta steering box can be a bit confusing the first time you see one...causes lots of folks some head scratching at first....after you do one..piece of cake..

this thread might help explain it :scratchhead:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=2373

or try searching the forum....

Let us know how you get on and any problems...somebody can help......if you get seriously stuck, let me know..I'm about an hour's drive away.
That is mighty generous of you. Thanks for the offer friend. Did you happen to see about 3 weeks ago, a Super Dexta that was on CharlotteCraigs list for $1300. I could hardly sleep at night, I wanted it so bad. Great shape. Only needed a tire and manifold. It was too good for a parts tractor and I don't need 2 SDex's so I had to let it go. It did not last long. Wondered if you saw it and lost any sleep over it?

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

naildriver wrote:Does this steering column move up and down or does it twist. If it moves up and down by way of the fast threads, then I may see my problem. If it twist, then...... It must move up..... gotta go look at my drawings.
OK, read the manual about the steering. It does move up and down by way of worm gear. This means that the top has to be stationary. Thus my problem. Will take top assembly apart tomorrow and see what held it stationary

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

naildriver wrote:
naildriver wrote:Does this steering column move up and down or does it twist. If it moves up and down by way of the fast threads, then I may see my problem. If it twist, then...... It must move up..... gotta go look at my drawings.
OK, read the manual about the steering. It does move up and down by way of worm gear. This means that the top has to be stationary. Thus my problem. Will take top assembly apart tomorrow and see what held it stationary
Believe you have it figured out :clap: .....The bearing assembly holds the 'nut' ( with the splines for the steering wheel) in place..allows it to spin, but not move up or down.

Worn bearing is a VERY common problem in these....whole box is oil lubricated.. when oil leaks out, this bearing is the first thing that runs dry. Probably a good idea to replace the seals in the side of the box when you put it back together and see if you can stop the oil leak...
Mine leaks around the shims on the left side of the box....shims have a corrosion hole in them....I can patch it up and stop it for a while, but it always starts again... about a month ago I filled the box with a '00' grade of grease ( the softest grade that's easy to find), mowed about 40 acres since and have it parked on a concrete floor.....so far no leaks....we'll see.

I try not to look at tractors in the want ads, just gets me in trouble with the missus :lol: ....

Fall fishing season at the coast is coming up...I'll be making a few trips through Monroe area on my way to coast during October and November. A side trip is not much of an inconvenience if you need a little help.
Jack

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

commander wrote:
naildriver wrote:
Believe you have it figured out :clap: .....The bearing assembly holds the 'nut' ( with the splines for the steering wheel) in place..allows it to spin, but not move up or down.

Worn bearing is a VERY common problem in these....whole box is oil lubricated.. when oil leaks out, this bearing is the first thing that runs dry. Probably a good idea to replace the seals in the side of the box when you put it back together and see if you can stop the oil leak...
Mine leaks around the shims on the left side of the box....shims have a corrosion hole in them....I can patch it up and stop it for a while, but it always starts again... about a month ago I filled the box with a '00' grade of grease ( the softest grade that's easy to find), mowed about 40 acres since and have it parked on a concrete floor.....so far no leaks....we'll see.

I try not to look at tractors in the want ads, just gets me in trouble with the missus :lol: ....

Fall fishing season at the coast is coming up...I'll be making a few trips through Monroe area on my way to coast during October and November. A side trip is not much of an inconvenience if you need a little help.
Which beach do you fish?

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

My steering has been modified. Someone before me installed a press in bearing. Pics can been seen here http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=713666

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

That looks like an interesting problem. From the pictures it looks like the top nut was machined to take a circlip to hold it in place in the bearing. The circlip must have popped off when you hit the stump. I don't think any thought was given to disassembly when it was modified so you will have to get creative to pull that bearing out. My first thoughts are to make some sort of slide in hook and use a slide hammer to pull it out. Failing that resort to my other method shear brute force and a welder on the bearing, not a good option if you want to use the parts again but it works for me most times when all else fails. Just be carefull not to weld the bearing in.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
very interesting mod. :beer:
not sure if its a better solution to the original ? but you can buy the new nut / bearing assemberly now , if it will still fit .
if it all worked b4 then try to get the circlip back in i guess.
gd luck
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I would be very weary about using heat on it as the steering column is aluminium alloy.

Ideally you need to remove the fuel tank (PITA) and either remove the complete steering gear & disassemble, or just the top half of the column which unbolts from the lower box. Then you should be able to tap out the offending bearing with a suitable steel rod, or drift.

Confess I'm not exactly sure how your modded design works and unclear how you could shim the steering nut to remove vertical play. Also there should be an oil seal at the top to keep dirt out of the box. I would return it to the original design, which prob ain't Dex's greatest feature, but works OK when properly maintained.

What state is the lower box? How about removing one of the lower nuts on the LH Rocker Shaft Housing (see workshop manual) and seeing if any oil / crud comes out? If the oil is bad (which it probably will be :cry:), then go for a full ST box rebuild - sorry I didn't want to either, but glad I did! :wink:

If you're pleasantly surprized and nice clean oil comes out of the lower box, and there's minimal play in the two drop arms (see earlier thread ^ on how to check that), then it would be OK just to rebuild the top nut, getting creative on removing the offending bearing with some sort of hook as suggested by Frank.
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

A friend says to bust the bearings with a cold chisel????? I could take it down, it's just I had a couple more food plots I was wanting to plant

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

I would take 2 deck screws (hi-low threads) and run them down into each side of the bearing. then use a couple claw hammers to pry the bearing up and out. some heat might be needed....
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

I got it out. Was afraid to use heat since I'm not sure about greese and heat??? I made a "L" type puller of which I reached in a tried to jerk it out. I put a pair of visegrips on it and was striking upwards with lots of force. With the amount of force, I realized that any other similiar way, screws, etc, would not come easy. So, I took a cold chisel to it. The inner broke quickly. The outer, a different story. I was afraid I was going to bust the housing. After 20 minutes of beating, cussing, it finally broke into pieces. A magnet pulled the bearings from the shaft that houses the steering column. But I suspect that smaller particles or chips of metal have fallen in. I need a trick to remove them. Any tricks? My magnet will only go half way because it necks down. My intentions are to temp fix this thing and later this winter, rebuild the whole system.
___

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Replaced the bearing. Welded on a couple of washers instead of the clip. If I ever need to remove the bearing, I can cut my welds. Back to work Super Dex

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Glad you got it working again...you never know what you'll find when you start poking around in old machinery eh.

Got busy this week and just got around to logging on again.

to answer the question further up about the beach: Been going to Topsail Island (just south of Camp Lejune) since I was a kid, going on 50 years...it's a 'family' thing, both relatives and 'extended' family / friends...a small campground on the intracoastal, many of the spots have belonged to the same people for years, so you get to know a lot of them.
Jack

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

I go to Oak Island. Fishing is not as good as it used to be.