cleaning up the glow plug

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

cleaning up the glow plug

Post by burrII »

I am cleaning up the starting procedure on my Dexta and need your help on the heater plug. Reading past topics on this has helped but I haven't found anything on nozzle specific.

The hand pump on the left underside of fuel tank is sending fuel thru line to the manifold on right side of engine. However, the spray nozzle is not functioning at all and no fuel, mist or other, is allowed in the inlet manifold. It seems to be some sort of check valve type nozzle (maybe to stop a syphoning effect). So far, all efforts to clean and re-use are not successful. Is this nozzle out there on the market or is an equal in stock at my local auto supply house ?

Also, the hole just above the heater plug button (on the dash), what is this ? It seems to be electrically connected to the glow plug button and what is the function ? If so, I'd like to simply bypass and wire straight to the button. Presently, it is just another 'dirtdobber nest' that I've cleaned out but I wonder if it is a dashlight indicating active glowplug (?).

So far, and besides the stopped up nozzle, I cannot get a live connection to the plug and plan on purchasing a $5 starter switch as suggested in one of these topics.
on the banks of the Savannah

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: cleaning up the glow plug

Post by burrII »

Actual glowplug looks to be OK, and I've found out (on these topics) that I can simply 'hotwire' to the battery to check. I'll do this test today.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi m8
my nozzle is blocked too.
have u found the 90* tap that is part of the nozle ?
some time the lever gets snapped off.

10 secs + on the battery / hot wired and the coil should be glowing ! be careful it will get hot !!

i have decided to buy a new nozle as i cant seem to strip / service the old one .

gd luck . tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

The hole in you dash was probably for the horn button.
Good luck on the nozzle. It is a check valve with a ball and spring in it. I tried to find one like you're speaking of that was on the "Export" model Super Dexta sold in the U.S. Couldn't find one any where. I Installed a heater plug for a Fergy 35. It has an integral bi-metalic that opens when the heater gets hot and lets fuel to the heater coil and closes when the heater coil cools down.
The nozzle that Tom is speaking of was on the "Domestic" model sold in the U.K. and had a handle that you physically had to open and close. They are still available.

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

Yes Billy after I studied the schematic, I saw the horn pulled off the heater plug. Hmmm, dont quite know the next step on this check valve except to try and free existing one up from years of dirt and corrosion. Ive got it soaking in gas. Gotta be a similar nozzle end that size that has similar function (Im hoping).

BillB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BillB »

You may have already tried freeing the ball in your nozzle by inserting the point of a small needle into the nozzle opening. I was able to free mine by doing so.

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

If you ever find a new nozzle. Please let me know where you found it!

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Agriline shows a "Fuel Tap/Jet for Manifold" on their website for a Dexta.. wasn't clear to me from the pic if it just a shutoff, or a shutoff and nozzle....you could email them or give a ring and ask. I think, but am not sure, it's the version that was installed on the tractors originally sold in Britain. The export version being the one with a check ball and no shutoff valve.
Jack

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

Thanks a lot for the Agriline site Jack. I'll have to call them. The illustration isnt like my part (import vs export versions maybe) but we gonna try it. Ive been hunting for that parts place, wow, they've got the Dextas covered.

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

I have received my order and the 'fuel tap / jet for manifold' does spray the diesel. Work is slow though and i have not completed the glow plug project.

Along with the order is hoses, belt and filters (fuel, oil). I intend to change out all hoses and coolant. Can yall locate the drain plug on the engine block for me ? I'm going with a 50/50 mixture of the green antifreeze.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Drain for the block is just below the fuel filter.
S/b a drain on the radiator also. Look below the lower radiator hose.
Jack

burrII
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by burrII »

commander wrote:Drain for the block is just below the fuel filter.
S/b a drain on the radiator also. Look below the lower radiator hose.
'In that neighborhood', kinda below and to the left is a brass (looking) plug that I pulled but got no fluids at all. Now, directly 'just below the fuel filter' (and sorta behind) is a valve-like piece. Whats this ? and is this the plug you refer ?

Thanks !

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

burrII wrote:'In that neighborhood', kinda below and to the left is a brass (looking) plug that I pulled but got no fluids at all. Now, directly 'just below the fuel filter' (and sorta behind) is a valve-like piece. Whats this ? and is this the plug you refer ?
See block drain plug arrowed below
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!