Dexta Wheel Colours

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
bradson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta Wheel Colours

Post by bradson »

I have seen a number of Dextas at various outings here in Australia with Red wheels and red grills.Was this an export colouring?
Here is one in original trim I saw last week.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta Wheel Colours

Post by Bensdexta »

Dexta wheel & grill colours have been much debated. Suggest you have a trawl on here! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

In the U.S. it appears the original wheel colors were a Light Grey with a slight brownish tint for a lack of better description.
Chris

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Chris,

I think you may be right about the off-white (or grey) for Super Dextas, but I have come across photos on Craigslist and eBay of pre 1963 Dextas with the orange wheels.

In Canada, the Super Dextas from April/62 to ~June/63 all seem to have had orange wheels, silver grills and metal "Fordson" badges on both sides of the hood.

Does anyone know if there any 1962 models like that imported into the US or were all of the wheels grey with the "Ford 2000" decals on the sides of the hood?

Just curious,
Les

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

My Nephew was here visiting Sunday and we were talking Dextas as my freshly painted one was setting in the yard. Turns out he has one that he acquired from his father in-law in Windsor Canada. It's a gas Dexta ( unusual) and as I recall the wheels on his are the same color as mine were. He is not certain of the year so I will check the serial numbers the next time I'm at his place. He said it is in rough shape but he plains to restore it. I will also check the wheel color as he was uncertain of the color also.
Chris

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

dexta wheels and grills were originally orange. Changes were 1962 super dexta, silver grills, 1963 new performance super dexta grey grills, wheels and fenders, also lights :beer:

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Mine is a 61 and originally was Empire blue with the dull grey wheels. I was never fond of the color scheme and
have always like the Ford 2000. So as you can see in the following photo I have chosen to go that route. Hope
to have the rest of the parts installed in the next couple of days.
I have a bad back so was forced to fabricate a spring suspension seat assembly. Can use the tractor for hours now
without any discomfort. :D The original seat was very uncomfortable for me.

Chris

MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MarksDexta »

Cvans, Interesting. '61 here also, but with original orange wheels. In any event, I like the white, provides a nice contrast. Whenever I'm able to restore, I'll likely go back with orange just to keep it to what she is/was, but have to admit, I like the white! Nice job with what we see :beer:

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks for the compliment. The color in the photo is actually a very light shade of grey with the darker Ford Blue.
Chris

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi chris
dexta looks v.well m8

whats the red thing on the coolant line ?

tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I to was wondering that, guessing its not a t-piece for a heater....... :lol:
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Bradson,

In Australia the wheel colours on Fordsons varied depending on what state they were delivered in. As far as I know Victorian tractors from the 1950s onwards had red wheels, which matches with the picture you have. Other states used other colours. I have seen another Dexta that looked very much original with red wheels here in Victoria about 6 months ago. It was a working machine traveling down the Hume Highway on the back of a trailer. It had silver grills. I don't know about red grills. I have never seen a dexta that looked original with red grills.

I am certain this is purely an Australian thing, maybe the tractors were supplied without wheels as they were in earlier models and the wheels supplied in local market colours. There are others on this board who have far more knowledge of tractor colours than I have, hopefully they will be able to give a better explanation.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

You guys are on the ball :D
It is in fact an engine coolant heater. When it is below 32 degrees F. (0 degrees C.) It is a good idea to preheat the engine. It can get below -30 F. (-34.5 C.) here which makes it hard to start any diesel. Plug the heater in for an hour and the engine is toasty warm and starts instantly. We have to run #1 diesel in the winter or the fuel will turn to jello. :cry:
Chris

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

Aussie Frank wrote:Hi Bradson,

In Australia the wheel colours on Fordsons varied depending on what state they were delivered in. As far as I know Victorian tractors from the 1950s onwards had red wheels, which matches with the picture you have. Other states used other colours. I have seen another Dexta that looked very much original with red wheels here in Victoria about 6 months ago. It was a working machine traveling down the Hume Highway on the back of a trailer. It had silver grills. I don't know about red grills. I have never seen a dexta that looked original with red grills.

I am certain this is purely an Australian thing, maybe the tractors were supplied without wheels as they were in earlier models and the wheels supplied in local market colours. There are others on this board who have far more knowledge of tractor colours than I have, hopefully they will be able to give a better explanation.

Regards, Frank.
good info Frank, I recently purchased a totally original 1962 dexta and it has Red wheels, not orange.. and the paint and parts are all original paint