Well I made a right dogs dinner of the next bit of work.
I had a day free to play in the workshop and thought I would start renovating bits of tractor and stick them on the shelf ready for putting it all back together. The first component I refurbished was the steering box about 8 years ago so it was about time I did another
Its the usual refurb on the hydraulic top box, the lift pin
You can see the worn pin and the rough cam surface clearly in this photo. After trying to push the pin out in situ using several methods including strong expletives it refused to shift so I was resigned to the fact that it had to come out. The top box is like one of those wooden puzzles, I managed to get the rear spring plunger out OK but to get to the pin most of the innards had to come out. Here's the lump on the bench
To get the innards out you need to take the shaft that the quadrant sits on away. This is where it started to go wrong. I removed the quadrant handle with a puller, bad move, theirs a woodruff key in there and no way to get it out as the puller had pushed the shaft into the tube. I tried unsuccessfully to fish it out with various pliers but it was having none of it so I had to use brute force. Here's the quadrant hanging off with the woodruff key stuck
and here's the damage afterwards, I think I can repair it but still annoying, the lesson here is to pull the handle off without pushing the shaft into the tube, not easy but doable.
However I eventually got the bits out
Here's the new pin and old, the new pin is the shaft of an old 5/8" drill
Press the old one out and push the new pin in whilst resisting the urge to renovate the old fly press, I just have to concentrate on the tractor for a year.
New pin installed, I just have to repair the damage I did in the process and smooth that cam a bit.