running in after a rebuild

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GERRY
True Blue

running in after a rebuild

Post by GERRY »

After rebulilding my super dexta ,i would like to know if pulling a trialer mostley empty would be alright for to [ run it in] or would it really need the trialer to be loaded , it is a3ton trialer i have. Also how long does it take. GERRY

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No,No,No,No!!!!!!

It needs work, hard work! It will need around 100 hours of ploughing, cultivating, grass cutting anything but chugging round on a trailer :D

You need to work it otherwise the rings will not bed in and the bores will glaze and you will be back where you started before you overhauled it. To run them in correctly you need to work it hard but not abuse it. Run it at around PTO speed with a load but don't let it pull down too much and overheat. Change the oil at 50 hrs then 100 hours. Use a straight engine oil not a multipurpose one.

If you do not have any work to do, find a friendly garage with a dynamometer and run her a day on that.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanks for that brian, i had an idea that i had something like this to do .but all i have is the trialer. the distance i have been pulling it is about 6 mile round trip, i have between 15/20 hrs done on it .hope this hasnt done too much damage. gerry

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Gerry,

Driving up and down over hills with a good load is also not bad ... but just ask a neighbour farmer if you can help him on ploughing or something else ...

ps : I always use multigrade oil (Agricastrol Power 15W40)
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanks Jos for yor reply . this has eased mind a bit i dont want to do any thing wrong after all my hard work on the engine.ill keep aload on her . Brian had me worried there as his advice is seldom worng.its good to have another opinion. Gerry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Multigrade oil is great and will give no problem. I use 15/40W in all my tractors.

I said "multipurpose" which is a different beast and has additives to stop inboard disc brakes from "squarking". This is the type of oil found on a lot of farms and agricultural suppliers.

If used in an engine that is not working hard, this causes bore glazing and so the rings do not bed in.

Perkins and Mercedes would not warranty their engines if this type of oil had been used in them. We always had to keep a "straight" oil for those applications.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

just about oils,i got a5liter can of Duchams minreal oil 15/40 from the local garage is this all right for the engine.Its for cars but will it be aright for tractor, its for the 25 mile change after rebuild Gerry

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Gerry,

the brand Duchams is Shark of Castrol who is owned by BP ...
If it is oil for Diesel engines, it should be fine.

When you go to those car tuning shops etc. you will find a lot of different brands with or without special additives (Graphite, Teflon ..) Keep those out of the engine. Just a straight pure oil is still the best.
Rgds
Jos

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanks for your reply Jos, i usally use a tractor oil from from a garage it comes from a 45 /gal drum but there has been so much talk about oils that iwas thinking after the rebuild that if i could an oil that i could get any where and just stickwith it would ideal Gerry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I came across a brand of Duckhams 10/40w today that was not recommended for old tractor engines. I will check the can tomorrow for the specification but it is supposed to be for high performance engines only.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanks Brian, that would be great, it will be good to to know if this will do me for oil changes as i dont really know what is in oil that garage has been selling me before this. the oil iwas getting was 15/40 mobil tractor oil with a flying horse badge on it. Gerry

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Just another thing about the duckhams oil i got the numbers on the can are api/cf/ acea/ b3 mb/229.1/vw/50500 its diseal oil this might help you Brian to identify if it is all right for my little ole dexter. Thanks again Gerry

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Gerry,

my advice is not to use this oil, unless the engine was 100% overhauled and even than....

The spec stands for a oil that can be used in high-performance engines so they have a very high detergent content.

Brian,
the 10W40 is normally a semi-synthetic or even full synthetic oil.

check this link => http://www.dedriekleur.com/personenauto ... ie_pkw.htm
Rgds
Jos

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

thanks for your replyJos, ihave found agarage that has agri castrol poerw plus 15/40 it dosent say multi grade on it but ill trry this