Head gasket blowing??????

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Head gasket blowing??????

Post by Bensdexta »

Clive46s wrote:... I have decided to go for a cylinder head and have one on order at this very moment (plus all of the flaming gaskets again of course). So thanks again folks.
Where have you ordered your cyl head from? You might be better off with a good 2nd hand one, as some folk have had trouble getting new ones to fit? :scratchhead:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Just a point regarding a replacement head - I'm sure Ben had one some time ago from a well known supplier and had to do numerous alterations to it to make it fit due to either manufacturing issues and / or compatability with a well known red brand of tractor. May be worth doing a search.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Russelm is the expert on replacement heads,
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 60&p=15589

Clive46s
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Clive46s »

Hello to all who have been offering ideas and thoughts. Today has been cause for celebration at last. New cylinder head arrived yesterday 24 hours after ordering it from Agriline, together with all gaskets. Today my new friend and I reassembled the head and refitted this afternoon. Fired her up and would you believe - all is well. No more blow outs of vapour water or anything unmentionable! The only strange thing that happened was, all of the three injectors started to leak fuel, so we took them out stuck them in the vice and tightened up the unions and hey presto I now have a fairly healthy Dexta again. So I would just like to thank everyone who contributed its great to have support when youre in muddle. Tomorrow the loader will be going back on and I can make the old girl earn her keep..It seems fairly clear now, that there was a crack in the head and this was masked somewhat due to the combustion chamber covers blowing thereby reducing the pressures that would normally have gone internally. So thanks again
Clive

Clive46s
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Clive46s »

re messages from bensdexta and gavin.. Sorry I hadn't realised that there were two extra posts on page 2. Thanks for the extra info re heads. My new one from agriline did have a couple of extra bolt holes, which we blocked off with bolts and copper washers, apart from that there were no major probe. Biggest issue we had was the new combustion chamber covers, where the three holes didn't line up with those on the head. My new buddy took them together with head to a local metal workshop and had the holes realigned and fitted properly, anyway the long and the short of it is that all seems OK now
Clive

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Good to know the Agriline head fits.
Very well done getting her going. :clap: .

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

Great News!! Another old Dex saved from a horrible fate.....Glad you were persistent and kept at it...

dave
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

The agriline heads do fit IF you get the right sort, block the extra holes and do a little fettling! :) :wink:

So in reality they dont fit out of the box
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Glad to hear that all is ok now :clap:
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000