the lift works great

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

the lift works great

Post by terry274 »

Took the top off my Dexta lift yesterday. Found that the pin was worn nearly all the way through. Replaced it with a 5/16" drill bit end, and set the linkage according to the advice Brian gave. The lift now works great, both position and draft control. Thanks for the advice Brian!
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Just in time then Terry. What would have happened, if the pin had of sheared?

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Forgot to ask you Terry,
besides the pin what else did you replace to get the lift working well? Brian suggested the two "O" rings, a piston seal and ram cylinder "O" rings.

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Aldo, I believe if the pin sheared, the lift would just not work at all. I replaced the O ring that goes to the return filter, the return filter and the lift gasket. I wanted to replace the O ring at the supply orifice but the O ring the guy at New Holland sold me was not the correct size. :( I did not do any work to the piston, it seemed in good condition. I also cleaned a LARGE amount of gunk out of the bottom of the sump. Most of the parts in my lift appeared to be in good condition, surprising considering the condition of the oil. I wonder if that oil was the original Fordson oil? The transmission oil was as bad or worse. The fluid in the transmission came out like a thick chocolate milk shake. I will run the tractor to get it warm and change the transmission oil again to aid in flushing her out.
Terryy
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta