Damaged bush/bearing/seal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
welderpaul
True Blue

Damaged bush/bearing/seal

Post by welderpaul »

Strip down is nearly complete!

almost finished stripping back the paint to bare metal before repairing some seals etc, filling with oil, and painting with primer (Don't want to find leaks after painting!)

As per the pic, where the pedal arm passes through the casting, the seal which sits in the casting is damaged and i need to replace. I can't find the OEM part no for it; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46085197@N08/8318854303/

Dextrous
True Blue

Re: Damaged bush/bearing/seal

Post by Dextrous »

Hi Paul

The part is E-13-FC-9 in the parts manual, there is one on each side of the shaft so you need two.

I got mine from Dunlop's part number ME162100 DEXTA brake Shaft SEAL x.4 £5.50 each.

Cheers
Andy

welderpaul
True Blue

Post by welderpaul »

Excellent, thanks Andy

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

It looks like your at a similar stage to me Paul, the woodruff key is a bit of a cow to remove from the brake shaft as the shaft can escape from the other side when you welly it as they never come out with a pair of pliers. i wedged mine against the wall with a long length of timber.

How are you removing the paint? I have 10 litres of caustic soda gel left over from a stone cleaning job that I plan to use, should degrease it as well. I just need to avoid aluminium like the hydraulic pump cover.

Cheers
Andy

welderpaul
True Blue

Post by welderpaul »

95% of the paint/muck is off now, probably took me around 6 hours with a decent quality 4.5" wire wheel in a grinder. Theres a few small areas where i need to use a smaller brush in a drill to get into the nooks and crannies. I've taken it right back to bare steel and suprised that there is no evidence of corrosion/pitting anywhere other than the wings and some bits of bodywork.
I'm going to give it another once over when i am ready to paint, then a clean over with panel wipe before etch primer and top coat. Ordered the paint and a lot of replacement parts today.
Once i have got the engine stripped down and the rest of the muck out of the way i will get busy painting.

I'm enjoying it!

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Glad to hear your enjoying it, I would enjoy it more if I could get more contiguous tractor time, as soon as I start something comes up and I have to stop so I end doing other smaller tasks around the farm instead.

I'm replacing all the seals I can get to while its stripped down, only one I'm baulking at is the one beween gearbox and back axle. I should really but means splitting the tractor, would make it easier to take down into the barn from the workshop above though, I will porbably end up doing it.

I can't paint it until the warmer weather comes, too much condensation, so I'm leaving the paint stripping to last and concentrating on the engine overhaul next.

welderpaul
True Blue

Post by welderpaul »

Have you thought of an easy way of cleaning out the residue of gloopy oil out of the bottom of the castings?
I have a lot of emulsified rubbish left inside i need to get rid of. Not a lot of access but at the moment all i can think of doing is scouping out as much as possible then soaking it up with rags. I want to make sure there is nothing nasty left in the bottom before it all goes back together!

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Only slight change to your strategy was that I raised the bell housing end up on a winch so most of the gloop in the back axle fell to the rear. I could then get to it by doing a bit of gynaecology on Doris through the hole after I took the PTO shaft out to replace the oil seal. Didn't get rid if of it all though, rest was done by poking around with a stick with bits of old rag on the end.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

if u can beg /borrow a hot washer / steam cleaner they r GREAT at shifting greasey much
also a good way to get filthy .
when ive done mine ive had to live with the slight damp left behind , inside castings , cuz its shifted far more filth than i would ever had got by hand only .its a trade off if u get me ???? if u can get thing hot it will evaporate off.
also good for cleaning countless other things ( really good at washing out diesel fuel tanks and turning the rusty bottom into holes )
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.