inboard or outboard lights?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Vulgunx
True Blue

inboard or outboard lights?

Post by Vulgunx »

Hi my dexta 1961 dexta has the brackets to fit inboard lights is there a big difference from the two in lighting and if i get repo grills will inboard lights fit in them since some repo items are crappy
Thanks Brad
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: inboard or outboard lights?

Post by Bensdexta »

Vulgunx wrote:Hi my dexta 1961 dexta has the brackets to fit inboard lights is there a big difference from the two in lighting and if i get repo grills will inboard lights fit in them since some repo items are crappy.
'61 Dextas are 'New Style' and should have headlights in the grill. If you have the brackets already welded on the front axle bracket, fitting the headlights is straightforward.

But note that the grill-mounted lights are thinner than the side-mounted ones. Look for 'Super Dexta' headlights. Should be no prob getting the grills to fit.

It is worth noting that they are more vulnerable in the grill than at the sides - easy to run into something and push them into the rad. So you might want to fit a Horndraulic style crash bar on the front. Also they prob give a better light when mounted on the sides. I think the reason why Fordson moved them to the grills was to make space for a front loader, which makes the tractor much more useful.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

'61 Dextas are 'New Style' and should have headlights in the grill.
Does this include tractors in the USA also? Mine is a 61 and the lights were mounted on the cowl. :scratchhead:
Chris

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

I think the side lights remained an option through to the end of production of the Dexta (~Sept/64.)
Les

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Cvans wrote:
'61 Dextas are 'New Style' and should have headlights in the grill.
Does this include tractors in the USA also? Mine is a 61 and the lights were mounted on the cowl. :scratchhead:
I have a US Dexta brochure from 1961 which shows lights in the grill. It also shows the bonnet badges mounted lower, and wheel weights are different to UK ones. So who knows, probably one for Brian, or the experts your side of the water to answer?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Could be a retro-fit or the external lights were easier to get.
No matter the building year, the bonnet still has these holes so is foreseen to have the side-lights fitted.
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MarksDexta »

Though they're missing now, originally My '61 had them in the grills. The cowl has holes for side lights and I wondered about it, but now learning that they were optional on the side through it's production run, it makes more sense. Thanks for helping with that mystery!

Vulgunx
True Blue

Post by Vulgunx »

If you dexta had inboard lights what did the factory use to cover up the holes on the side of the nose cone?
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Little, blue coloured, plastic button inserts.

Les

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks for all the information. Mine doesn't have the original grill so I have no idea what lights were used. Nice to know that they were mounted both ways. It could have VW lights on it and I'd still really like it. :D
Chris