Hand Brake Ratchet

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Hand Brake Ratchet

Post by Bensdexta »

Just installed my new (repro) ratchet. It's welded directly onto the side of the roll bar. Seems to be working well.

But how long do these repro ratchets last as it doesn't appear to be the hardest of steel ?? :scratchhead:

Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian Cox
True Blue

Re: Hand Brake Ratchet

Post by Brian Cox »

should last for a long time. It's not as if you would be abusing it. Mine has been two years now , no problem up till now anyway :beer:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian Cox wrote:should last for a long time. It's not as if you would be abusing it. Mine has been two years now , no problem up till now anyway :beer:
That's encouraging!

I spoke to Queensbury, who apparently make quite alot of the parts they sell but not the rachets. They report no complaints about their ratchets in 6 years - although I notice that their ratchet is slightly different to the mine, so there is evidently more than 1 supplier.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Mine original was slightly worn so I simply recut the teeth with a file and then tempered it.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

russelm wrote:Mine original was slightly worn so I simply recut the teeth with a file and then tempered it.
Cunning! :D

How do you temper it? Heat it up with a blow torch (to cherry red?) then quench with water?

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Ben,

Your photo suggests to me that your ratchet is on the wrong way round!

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Tubal Cain wrote:Your photo suggests to me that your ratchet is on the wrong way round!
Surely not!!
Item 11 p 12 of parts list:

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I just heated it gently until straw coloured then maintained the colour for a few minutes followed by quenching
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

Here in the USA there are still a few dexta's in service. I have two, one running well and another I purchased for scrap price that some kid ran it overheated until it literally stopped. Back to the hand brake ratchet. I have never seen one on a tractor in the USA. I would certainly love to fit one to my runner. Any leads to a supplier for a repo or even someone with a used original unit for sale. Many Thanks pwbrown north carolina usa

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

brownsmule wrote:Here in the USA there are still a few dexta's in service. I have two, one running well and another I purchased for scrap price that some kid ran it overheated until it literally stopped. Back to the hand brake ratchet. I have never seen one on a tractor in the USA. I would certainly love to fit one to my runner. Any leads to a supplier for a repo or even someone with a used original unit for sale. Many Thanks pwbrown north carolina usa
What handbrake do you have?

The ratchets, ie part#11 in above diag, are readily available in UK from Agriline, Queensbury etc, as are the ratchet 'repair kits' (ie pawl, rod etc). If you need the entire handbrake lever/handle, rods etc, a breaker is your best bet. There was one on ebay recently (item no 170971248010).

Keep 'em running! :wink:

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

I too was looking at the hand brake with interest. I have seen several Dextas here in the states, many, many, online photos, and never once was there a hand brake installed. Both of our foot brakes can be locked down with a ratchet where the brake lever attachs to the actuation rod behind the drivers right foot. Must be some sort of safety rule for the Europe tractors.... :?: :?: :?:
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

MarksDexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MarksDexta »

My '61 doesn't either. Until I read further, I was thinking this was a self made retro brake of some kind. Haven't seen one either. It's gone this long without one, I don't suspect I'll be looking to add at this point. I appreciate seeing it though!

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

I have seen many Dextas here in Norway, but none with that handbrake. I guess it was made only for the british market. :(
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

dexta roadless wrote:I have seen many Dextas here in Norway, but none with that handbrake. I guess it was made only for the british market. :(
I have seen early UK Dextas with the handbrake latch on the RH side behind the drivers foot, so guess the handbrake was introduced here about 1961 (my Fordson book doesn't say!).

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi,
Have only seen one handbrake here in Canada... and that was on a 1958 Dexta imported together with the owner:shock:
But have yet to come across another 1958 model here. Maybe it was the 1st one to Canada!!!
Les

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Both dextas I have driven here have handbrakes.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

All the Dexta's, Super Dexta's and Petrol Dexta's that I own or have seen all have hand brakes on the left as Bens Dexta :D
But in saying that, I have seen a 3000y with a right side ratchet handbrake on it rather than the standard left sided handbrake, that I suspect has been fitted after the tractor was originally sold. :mrgreen: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi,
Noticed in parts list (F001566/10/63) that the handbrake was fitted from chassis number 45496 (about Dec/1959) onwards and that a retrofit kit (E245-WP-9) was available for the earlier Dextas.
Doesn't say for which markets though.

Les