Trouble removing Crank Pulley

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
JakeD
Not Quite Blue Yet

Trouble removing Crank Pulley

Post by JakeD »

Hello, Last year I started restoring a 3cyl Diesel 957E Fordson Dexta. I live in North America and although there are many tractor mechanics in my area that have experience working with Diesel Perkins motors, not many have experience working with the Dexta directly. It has been a slow and steady process but I am now facing my first real problem. The other week I was attempting to remove the front gear plate in order to retime and regasket. I was able to remove all the front bolts and get the front axel/wheels off but when it came time to remove the crank pulley in order to get to the front gear plate I was at a loss because I could seem to get it off with a puller.

I have seen and have been told that on most Dexta's there is a bolt on the face of the crank pulley, that first needs to be unscrewed before using a puller on the crank pulley itself. The problem I am having is that there is no bolt on the face of crank pulley on my Dexta. There are only 2 threaded holes parallel to each other on the middle of the face of the crank pulley, which was where I bolted the puller i was using, and 3 counter sunk hex points in a triangle formation, again on the face of the crank pulley. I almost broke the puller tool I was using that day and figured that I must be doing something wrong.

Does the crank pulley i described sounds familiar to anyone?

Am I dealing with an older style?

And most importantly does anyone know how to get this off?

I have taken pictures of the crank pulley and would be very willing to email them to anyone who is interested in helping.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Jake

Dextrous
True Blue

Re: Trouble removing Crank Pulley

Post by Dextrous »

Hi jake

so its doesn'y look like this?

Cheers
Andy

JakeD
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JakeD »

Thanks for responding to my question Andy,

The crank shaft pulley on my Dexta looks identical to yours accept like I said there is no center bolt on the face to be undone.

I could email you a picture of what im dealing with, i cant seem to figure out how to post a picture directly on to this site.

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Hi Jake - PM sent

Regards
Andy

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
i use photo bucket to upload pictures to forums , works for me .
its the IMG code u need .

hope this helps
tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

tom lad wrote:i use photo bucket to upload pictures to forums , works for me .
its the IMG code u need .
Or tractorsearch/images even easier! Like Tom says select 640 pixels wide & copy/paste in the [img] code. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Here's Jake's picture, to me it looks like there is a lid held on by 3 hex bolts, when these are removed teh dreaded starting handle sprocket/crank pulley nut will be revealed within

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Appears to be the adapter plate to mount a hub on for a front loader hydraulic pump. Looks like someone either made it themselves or it has been modified. Mine is held on with hex cap screws that are tapped into the crankshaft pulley. It was a bugger to get off!
Are these bolts with nuts on the backside of the pulley ? It looks like someone has tried to drill one out.

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

Time to get out the torch, and heat up the hex head bolt heads until they are red. Let them cool for a moment, use a good allen type socket and strike it first with a hammer, then hopefully it will come out. I think every tractor purchase should come with a Oxy-acet. torch heheh good luck... and yes that looks like a pump adapter plate. If you have a MIG welder, you can place a nut over the broken bolt, and start in the center with medium heat, and work up to the nut and weld the nut to the broken stud. You can do this also with the other bolts but its more work than the torch I mentioned above.... I use my wire welder, or torch, to remove bolts all the time....
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

JakeD
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JakeD »

Thank you for all the feed back!

I was able to easily remove the 3 hex bolts from the front plate of the crank pulley, now how do I go about getting the plate off? Do I need a puller?

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

There looks to be two threaed holes on the plate?

If so then wind in some long bolts of the correct thread and keep slowly tightnening them to 'push' it off.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

JakeD
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JakeD »

Great Idea! i will try that and let you know what happens!!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Looking at the picture the appears to be four holes in the plate which may have been to mount something on the plate.
I would guess that the plate is recessed into the pully (I've just looked at my pulley and there is 1/8" recess) and with a bit of pentrating fluid/leverage/heat/tappiing it might come out.
Try putting a punch into one of the holes and knocking it round or tapping one of those thread and fitting a bolt to pull it out.
I suspect its just rust holding it in!
Even a big tap at the centre of the disc with a ball end of a hammer might do it!
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

you could drill a hole at the edge then use that to get a pry bar behind the plate.
I am assuming you dont want to keep the plate!
Regards,
John

JakeD
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JakeD »

I ended up hitting the edge of the front plate a few times with a hammer and it popped right off!

Thank you to all who have shared their knowledge!

I have the front timing plate back on and gasketed along with the front end radiator and all, which makes me very happy.

The next chapter is refabricating some sort of throttle system, the old one was ripped out and since im planning on using all sorts of different equipment i need a
sensitive throttle, does any one out there have experience with this??