Help required getting Hydraulics’ working

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Help required getting Hydraulics’ working

Post by Trevorthetractor »

A bitter sweet day today “Trevor” started for the first time in three years, runs sweet though :D just an oil leak to sort out. Help required getting Hydraulics’ working, no movements at all at the arms does not make any difference where the draft control is set or the lever on the gearbox side! ???????????????? Pump been striped and cleaned as has the whole back end, pins in mechanism been re-profiled back to near original. PTO works ok. Where should I start to look for a solution??

commander
True Blue

Re: Help required getting Hydraulics’ working

Post by commander »

The workshop manual has a pretty good bit on troubleshooting the hydraulic lift.......

Start with the simple:
Is the selector knob on the auxilary service plate pushed all the way in? If it's pulled out, no flow to the lift.
Pull the small plug out of the side of the pump, bump the starter (stop cable pulled out) and see if you're getting any oil flow.

did you set the adjustments when you refurbished the position control pin?

did you strip the valve chest and replace ( or just discard) the o-ring on the cylinder unloader? (they are bad to stick when they get old).

is the lift cylinder stuck from sitting?
Jack

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hi
I do not see a select knob, I changed all the rubbers and reset the linkages best I could. I will try to see if oil is being pumped, all the old oil was drained chest cleaned out and new oil is it possible that the system is “air locked”?

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

I have checked the oil at the side plug and it pumps from there, still don’t see a valve to change from three point link to any thing else!

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

it is right under the front of the seat. it is containd within a small cast plate bolted to the top of the hydraulic top cover. should have a knob to the right hand side as you sit on the tractor. push this in for the 3 point lift and pull out for the external hydraulics.
you may find the knob is missing but the valve shaft should still be there.
Regards,
John

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hi John

Yes the Block you refer to is there but no sign of a knob just a hole, i think it has a thread inside. I took some photos today but I have not put them on the forum before, we will see......

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi.

On the second photograph, inside 'the black hole' :D facing the camera, there should be a type of piston which can be pulled in and out to divert oil flow from hydraulic arms, to the outlet at the top of the 'black hole'

It's difficult to see from the photo if the end has snapped off or if it simply as been removed.

Either way, you should be able to get the parts required to fix it from here.

http://www.agrilineproducts.com/partsca ... dexta.html
Mark

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

if there was no valve would it not leak oil everywhere? if you remove the plate and crank the engine over with the stop pulled does oil come out of the ports in the hyd cover?
might be better to find a good secondhand one
Regards,
John

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

There is no oil leak, I will remover the plate tomorrow & check oil flow, it’s too late tonight

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

:scratchhead: It’s been a while, oil flow fine however shuttle valve that changes from internal to external was stuck fast and the knob is broken off. It is very hard so cannot drill and tap a thread, has anyone got a diagram of how it should look with dimensions as a pall of mine is a model engineer & he said he will make one 

Removed big cover and reset the adjustments again and it still does not work, although as the leaver is moved up I can hear a click?????

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

I had a very similar problem, after I had removed things from the hydraulic's of the tractor.

Firstly, check you have oil flow by removing the top plate, with the knob on it (your's has broken off) and very carefully, with the stop control OUT so the tractor won't start, crank on the starter.

If there is oil flow after a few seconds of cranking it will gush out of one of the holes previously covered by the top plate.

If you have no oil, and can't work out why, check the level, firstly, and if you have removed the filter, check it's on the right way round!

I put mine back in upside down, and it took me days to figure out why no oil :D :oops:
Mark

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hi Mark
Yes I do have oil flow it’s all cleaned out and new oil & filter, setting are done best I can. External valve is in the “in” position for Hydraulics, it does not make any difference which position the draft control leaver is in, the quadrant lever moves freely and I can hear a click as it moves up (with the engine running).