Dexta Hydraulics, fluid level and Tires

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kevin201
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta Hydraulics, fluid level and Tires

Post by kevin201 »

I'm new to the forum as well as new to being A Fordson owner.I have A 1961 Dexta that I dragged out of A neighbors pasture where it sat for 7 plus years. After getting the starter rebuilt and doing some re-wiring along with new fluids she breathed life again and runs quite well :clap: . Used it pulling A boxblade and man, what A workhorse! I do have A few questions that I hope some of you with A whole lot of Fordson experience. First is the Hydraulics. When using the 3 point hitch the up-down lever on the right only controls the hitch in the upper 1/4 of travel. I can start with the lever all the way down , and the hitch is all the way down but it won't start to lift it until I've moved it 3/4 way up and then when at the top the hitch is all the way up. Next, everything I've read says the tractor should have 28" tires but this one has 24". Could this be right or did someone change them somewhere along the line? Also like I stated I changed all the fluids (trans was all water) and I put in the proper amount per info found on the internet but I'm unclear as to do an actual fluid level check. I see A couple plugs to remove on the side but just want to be sure I'm doing the right one. Thanking Y'all in advance for any info anyone could educate me with!!

PghBill
True Blue

Re: Dexta Hydraulics, fluid level and Tires

Post by PghBill »

Kevin,
When you get to The Fordson Tractor Pages site, There's a blue bar across the top of the page that looks like this:
Home-Bulletin Board-Wiki-General-The F and N-The E27N Major-The Dexta-The New Major-Links
Run your cursor over The Dexta and a drop down menu will appear.
Click on Dexta and another menu will appear with all the info you're looking for.

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Welcome to the board Kevin,

Where are you located?

24" tires were an option and seem to be more common here in North America, atleast from '62 onwards.

The rear end (and hydrualics) level plug is on the clutch side by the pto lever. Originally was a square headed pipe thread plug.
(The bolts on the brake side hold the pump in postion so is not recommended to be undoing any of them :cry: )

The gearbox level is a similar plug but it is on the brake side.

Do you mean the hydraulic lever is only controlling the arms in the upper part of the quadrant with the box blade on or with nothing on?

Cheers,
Les

kevin201
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kevin201 »

I am located in Myakka City Florida USA. Yes the control only works in the upper quadrant no matter whats on the hitch or nothing at all. Thanks so much for quick response and great info!