Super Dexta clutch adjustment

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Dexta clutch adjustment

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi All,

I've just bought a 1963 Super Dexta as a project, and a tractor to look after a small-holding here in NZ -- my British ex-pat credentials couldn't resist something made in Dagenham! I'm new to tractors, let alone Dextas, so please bear with me.

I am currently trying to adjust the clutch, as per the repair/service manual supplied online by Fordsontractorpages.nl -- thanks! However, I have two issues. The first is that although the drive clutch appears to disengage halfway down the pedal travel, I still get a little jerk when I put the tractor into gear. Secondly, the PTO doesn't appear to disengage by the time the pedal hits the footplate (though I've not loaded the PTO yet to discover whether or not the clutch is partially disengaged).

On trying to adjust the clutch pedal, I noticed two things: the pedal has about 8" free travel in it, and at rest the clutch release arm screw head (which is screwed about 1" out of the release arm) is a good 1.5" away from the moulded bearing surface, ie the clutch release arm does not appear to be returning home properly. I initially supposed that the clutch release arm could be adjusted on the pivot shaft, but obviously it is splined on, suggesting that something in the clutch is not adjusted correctly.

Can anybody shed light as to the possible cause of this? It is more likely to be wear, or just maladjustment of the clutch plates? I'm aware that the previous owner had reportedly replaced the clutch, so I'm wondering if it wasn't done quite right.

Many thanks,

Chris

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta clutch adjustment

Post by Bensdexta »

Is it Live Drive, ie double clutch?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi,

Yes, it is indeed a live drive double clutch. I can feel both the points at which the main drive disc starts to disengage, and also the point at which the PTO disc starts to disengage.

Cheers,

Chris

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

What region of NZ are you in? Nice to know who's where with a blue tractor!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

I'm guessing south of Cape Reinga, but north of Bluff :mrgreen: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi All,

I'm in the Palmerston North area, enjoying the countryside!

Chris

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Sorry guys, but I'm impatiently awaiting an answer on this as I have the very same problem :cry:

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

sorry. I mean that the clutch was built up by a member of my local club and the pto clutch is not clearing and he refuses to come back to it :curse:

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

When I adjusted mine, the yoke on the end of the rod from the clutch pedal had 2 holes in it. I had to move the pin to the farthest hole from the pedal to get the proper adjustment

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

PghBill wrote:When I adjusted mine, the yoke on the end of the rod from the clutch pedal had 2 holes in it. I had to move the pin to the farthest hole from the pedal to get the proper adjustment
Yup, sadly although that lowers the clutch pedal to more like the proper position, my issue appears to be that the clutch release arm isn't returning to its intended resting position (ie with the adjuster screw against the moulded surface on the clutch housing). I guess this is indicative of a maladjustment issue in the clutch itself (it is supposed to be new-ish). I just wanted to canvass opinion as to whether this might be a 50-years-of-wear on something metal which will have to be replaced.

Cheers,

Chris

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Hi Chris,
Just a couple of thoughts>
Are you able to get the adjusting bolt to contact the stop by pulling up on the clutch pedal?
(If yes>> The return spring in the bell housing may be broken.)
(If not>>The single clutch has a longer clutch release bearing hub so possibly the wrong one was used in a rebuild? But... that doesn't fit if you have 8" of clutch travel before the clutch release bearing makes contact!!)
Is it possible that the clutch release bearing fork can be put on the cross shaft backwards?

Can you feel the pto stage engage when pressing down on the pedal?
And does the pto clutch disengage at all?
Maybe with the engine off and someone standing on the clutch pedal see if the pto shaft turns freely.

I also have a double clutch problem to sort out on a Dexta I acquired.
My clutch pedal is heavy to push down almost as if both stages are engaging at the same time!!
And sometimes seems as if the pto actually stops first!!!??
Any ideas very welcome!

Les

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Chris,
Perhaps Len has hit on something with the return spring problem.

Anyway, here's the adjusting directions from the service manual that I have.
Double Clutch Models
55. On models equipped with the double clutch, pedal free play is adjusted by means of the stop screw. The adjustment is correct
when 1 1/4 inches free play of the clutch pedal is obtained. Clutch pedal height on tractors equipped with the double clutch is adjusted by means of the adjustable clevis at the front end of the pedal link. To make this adjustment, proceed as follows:
Attach the clutch release arm in the rear hole of the clevis on pedal link, engage the power take-off and adjust pedal height so that the clutch pedal contacts the step plate the moment the power take-off clutch is completely released.
Caution: If pedal linkage is too short, release bearing will bottom in the clutch assembly before the pedal contacts the step plate, resulting in possible damage to the clutch release bearing and/or clutch fingers.
After adjustment has been made as indicated in the preceding paragraph, move the clutch release arm to the forward hole in the clevis and check to be sure that the transmission clutch is fully released when clutch pedal is in contact with the step plate.
If both adjustments cannot be obtained, it will be necessary to readjust or overhaul the double clutch assembly

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi,

Good call, Les, thanks! I got SWMBO to depress the clutch while I tried to turn the PTO shaft -- locked solid. I then tried adjusting the clutch release arm clevis, and found that tightening it up now releases the PTO. It turns, not brilliantly freely, but enough not to blow up the clutch dogs in the PTO gearbox when I engage my (yet to be purchased) slasher.

On the issue of the release arm not returning to the intended position, the spring seems fine. If I disconnect the clutch pedal from the release arm, it springs back perfectly to a 7 o'clock position, and absolutely will not go any further towards a 8 o'clock position. I saw another Super Dexta yesterday, and noticed that the release arm was at exactly the same position. That gives me confidence that all is well, I guess. The new issue is that when I tried to screw the adjuster screw out of the release arm (to contact the moulded surface on the transmission housing), it sheared off. Damn!

So, my current state of play is:

1) Both bits of the clutch appear to release, though I suspect I have worn release levers in there since there seems to still be a little contact when I change gear.
2) I still have 8" of free play in the clutch pedal because the adjuster bolt on the release arm has sheared off.

Now off to find a drill stand and and Easy Out!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I'm definitely getting bitten by this Dexta maintenance lark!!

Chris

Les bryant
True Blue

Post by Les bryant »

Hi Chris
Where abouts are you near p/nth as i live on Lees road Feilding
I have super dexta also live drive.
I am having trouble with the clutch also have replaced trans plate but will not disengage
will split again after easter
cheers Les.