engine flush ,good or bad ??

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

engine flush ,good or bad ??

Post by gjsteed »

hi all, ive noticed things a bit gunky inside the engine of the old girl,this is even after her getting a oil change after sitting idle for 10+years, and was wondering about maybe getting some "engine flush" what do you guys think ?? would it be ok to use such a product?? any bad side affects ? And if it is ok to use what type/product,there are so many here in the uk its hard to decide..thanks in advance gj :beer:

sky blue
True Blue

Re: engine flush ,good or bad ??

Post by sky blue »

Hi ; i have,nt heard of it been used a lot on here, idont, know if would do any harm, but would it do any good
if the engine is gunged up finding the cause and rectifying that might be abetter way to go, although if you have changed the oil useing a mordern oi lit will clean the engine anyway , my take on these pour in stuff are all a money making quick fix gimmic
but thats my old head working over time ,i would say give a go , but if engine is worn then the engine is worn no liquid will
will fix it, its get the tools out time, :)

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I would leave well alone. Old engines usually have a layer of muck, built up over the years, adhering to non moving surfaces.
Using a flushing oil might remove some of this with the result that oilways may get bunged up.
If you have put new oil and filter in I would run engine for an hour or so when it is hot and then drain.
Put in new oil and new filter.
Use an SAE oil,non detergent, if you don't know what oil was in before.
If you have to rebuild the engine, use a modern oil thereafter.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

fenhayman wrote:If you have to rebuild the engine, use a modern oil thereafter.
Does that not depend upon using a modern filter also?

With an old type filter, I think advice (see Brian's oil sticky) is to use a 'classic' motor oil so particles drop into the sump?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

Thanks lads for your advice ,but it has come to late , sighhhhh I couldn't help my self and used it today,it produced porridge like gunk when draining the oil out , and as for the gauze in below the sump,that took some cleaning with a small stiff brush in a bucket of petrol... so far everything is ok but only time will tell I guess ...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

What flush did you use?

I expect it will be fine! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

gjsteed
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gjsteed »

I used this
http://www.wynnoil.co.uk/products-wynns ... -flush.htm
I'd like to add that it really did shift some gunk,because even the first oil change I done on her the other week didn't produce this amount of gunk , I warmed the engine well up for around an hour then I poured this in to her and increased the revs ever so slightly for 15 mins then drained it, then removed the sump gauze and cleaned ...but as I say I guess only time will tell and if god forbids she does throw a leg out of bed il let you all know (but hopefully she doesn't)