Gear shifter and pto

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mark
True Blue

Gear shifter and pto

Post by Mark »

Hi everyone,
I've been plowing with my blue mule this spring getting the garden ready for planting, when I noticed oil leaking out of my shifters. It's making a mess. I've never had this problem before, and I don't remember any seals in this area. What am I missing?
Also my live pto isn't working properly, I have to put the pto in gear before I start her, and when I push the clutch down to stop the pto and shift gears it won't stop the pto. I have the clutch adjusted for live pto, does this mean I have clutch problems?

Need some input on this guys.
Thanks
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Possible Problem:
Check your oil level in the trans, if the oil is high, you have water in the trans.

Similar problem with the PTO clutch rust on the plates.

Did it set out in the winter? If you have water in the box, that water ran down the shift lever.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Tom,
I keep my tractor in the dry all year round, so I know that rain was not the problem. Is there a seal of some kind in the shifting lever?
How could rust on the pressure plate not let both clutches work, like there supposed to. Don't understand that at all.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mark,

There are no seals on the gear shift levers. I would suspect oil level is a little high and the splashing of the gears is throwing it out of the levers. This is some thing that happened on occasions and Ford actually advised a lower oil level if it became a major problem.

The PTO clutch sticking is also a fairly common problem if the clutches are not worked. Something heavy on the PTO and hold the clutch down may free it. If not it is a spliting job.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
I'll lower the oil level on the transmission this week. I bought a Bush Hog brand 72 inch finish mower two weeks ago, and have used it twice. It looks like I'm going to have to brake her apart. Do you think I will need both clutches and a new pressure plate?
Thanks for all the help.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mark,
Until you get it stripped its going to be hard to say. You may not need clutch plates at all if it is just stuck. I would suspect that it is just lack of use that is your problem. i would put a new thrust bearing into her though.

Have you moved the pin on the clutch rod into the second hole to operate the dual clutch? Just a thought but, as this brings the clutch pedal right up in the air, many people do not do this and until you do, the clutch will not free/work.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
Thanks for the good info, I'll change this tomorrow and see what happens. How will I know if and when the clutch breaks loose? I guess I'd have to run it a while, then put the clevis pin back into the right hole, and try it that way.
I'll have to mow grass again with the big finish mower in the middle of the week, I'll check it after I mow to see if it's working.
Thanks
Mark
See ya
Mark

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
I changed the clevis pin like you said and run her for an hour. I changed it back and readjusted the clutch play, and she's working pretty good. Thanks for the help.

TMAC,
You were probably right about the rust on the pressure plate, I guess you never get to old to learn.
Thanks
Mark
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mark,

When you are working with the PTO the clevis pin should always be in the back hole. The front hole is for normal work when you do not use the PTO or you want the hydraulics to run without constantly being stopped by the clutch.

If your PTO is stopping with the clevis in the front hole it is wrongly adjusted and could damage the clutch itself which is an expensive lump.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
I had the clevis pin in the front hole, then changed it to the back hole, ran it awhile then changed it back to the front. That's when I noticed I had the pin in the wrong hole to start with. I got my manual out and read up on it, and that's when I figured it out. I had it in the wrong hole to start with. Must of had a brain freeze to make that mistake. Oh well it's working all right now. I'll go to the doctor and get checked for Alzheimer's tomorrow ha ha.
Kind regards
Mark :roll:
See ya
Mark