cannot get dexta 2 start!!

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dexstar
Not Quite Blue Yet

cannot get dexta 2 start!!

Post by dexstar »

Hi, im getting the run around with a dexta at the minute. The tractor was a non runner with poor wiring, Ive since had the engine fully rebuilt and have fitted a new wiring loom. I have used a dexta manual to help with the wiring. The tractor is a 1958 model with the 5 outlet regulator. Ive double checked all the wiring and everything is correct. Ive also fitted a brand new starter motor and solenoid(the solenoid is the second one ive tried with the button on the bottom). Ive also fitted all new power leads and terminals. The battery is also new. As ive spent so much money on the tractor im really pissed off it has nt run yet! When i turn the key on and push the starting lever the sloenod clicks but nothing else happens. If i cross the solenoid with a spanner the starter just spins fast but when i try and engage the the starter lever at the same time as crossing the starter nothing happens and the solenod just starts clicking!!! Any help would be great!!! thanks

john.n
True Blue

Re: cannot get dexta 2 start!!

Post by john.n »

what Ah rating is the battery sounds like its down on power. have you tried a different battery or a jump start?
Have you tried a tow start to see if the engine is free to rotate?
Regards,
John
Last edited by john.n on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vulgunx
True Blue

Post by Vulgunx »

on the starter motor take them to wire off connect them together and push down the starter lever could be a bad connection in the starter
hope this helps :)
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

make sure starter aint jammed :D

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

You talk about having the engine done up, the two surfaces that of the starter motor and the adaptor plate that the motor is bolted too, are they free of paint preventing continuity of current?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Dexstar, have you had any luck yet?

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

it must be dextar that can't get :oops: started