got the brakes fixed

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

got the brakes fixed

Post by terry274 »

I received the rivets for my brake linings this week. In a previous post I had asked how to remove the old, bonded linings so I could rivet the new linings onto the shoe. The old linings were soaked in oil, I have replaced the axle shaft seals and put a speedy sleeve on one of the shafts, so I was ready finally for brakes!
Removing the old linings turned out to be pretty easy. I just used a hammer and chisel. The old linings were still pretty thick, the one that was worn the thinnest was the hardest one to remove, but even that one only took about ten minutes. Once the old linings were removed, I cleaned the holes in the shoe and used the aluminum rivets on the new linings. This process went well, the entire job took about two or three hours per side. The second side went quicker as I had learned how to do what needed to be done. After adjusting the brakes, I can now stop with very little pressure on the brake pedals. On to the next project!
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well done Terry, sounds like you did a good job there. Please would you be kind enough to explain how you secured the rivets as I may need to do the same some day. Also what tools were required.

I have not looked at my brakes yet but they definately need adjusting.

Kind regards
Mervyn

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

Mervyn, I have a brake tool to remove the springs. This tool is not absolutely necessary but it does make the job easier. Once the old bonded linings are chiseled off, start putting the rivets in the center of the shoe and work toward the ends to prevent a ''bubble'' from forming. The idea is to move the slack to the end of the shoe. You can buy a tool to deform the end of the rivets, but I did not. The tool will cost around $25 USD and is available online. Do a google search for brake rivet tool. The way I flattened the rivet ends was to use a bolt with an end the same size as the head of the rivet, turn the shoe upside down with the entire assembly resting on the bolt. The head of the bold was on a steel work bench next to a vise. The brake shoe is held, upside down, in the vise. Not to tight on the vise. Hit the shoe with a drive punch next to the rivet to make sure everything is seated, then use the punch to flatten the rivet end. A series of medium blows works better than a few heavy blows. After a couple of rivets you develop a technique and the rivets look good. Let me know if this does not sense and I will try to explain better. Not a hard job, just time consuming.
A word of caution. The old linings are probably asbestos. That is why I did not attempt to clean the face of the shoes, I just chiseled them off as smooth as possible and left the old glue and remaining shoe material on the shoe. It was not much and did not add much thickness to the shoe.
Hope this helps, Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hello Terry

Thank you very much for your detailed explination, when I get around to the breaks I will follow you guide lines. Yes, and thanks for the asbestos warning I will be careful.

Kind regards
Mdervyn