PTO

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Brian Cox
True Blue

PTO

Post by Brian Cox »

pto keeps disconnecting while in use, I was advised to check everything was tight at the rear, and make sure the retaining circlip is ok, well all is ok at the back, what next please?

PghBill
True Blue

Re: PTO

Post by PghBill »

Brian, Do you mean it's jumping of gear?

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Hi Brian, many thanks for your reply, I restored my baby 3 years ago and when I went to cut grass with a rear mounted mower,the pto would work fine then all of a sudden it stops turning. It has obviously jumped out of gear because the lever has moved. I can then shift the lever into drive position again and away it goes for a time again and the same happens. I can tie it back with string and it keeps working ok but that is not the answer, everything at the back is tight so it must be something else. :cry:

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

Sorry Bill, why did I think you were Brian :eyes:

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I haven't had to work on that part of my Dexta, but the manual shows a ball and spring that keeps the lever in the engaged position. If that's not the problem, the gear teeth could be worn from a previous owner engaging the PTO before the gears stopped turning.

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

I remember seeing an issue where the circlip holding the shaft breaks due to the implement PTO shaft being too long and this caused some issues but can't remember if it was jumping out of gear :?
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

If you don't have an overrun clutch on the mower then when the drive is "overtaken" by the mower the back pressure onto the PTO may cause it to jump out. Try using the mower and then reducing the engine revs so that the flywheel effect of the mower then turns the PTO shaft and see if it jumps out.
IMHO
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's