Fuel tank lining

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Fuel tank lining

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi

I removed my dexta fuel tank the other day and the inside of the tank looked like it may need to be line to help preserve it. I have read about RED COTE on the WEB and it sounds rather remarkable.
Has anyone on the board done any lining in the past :?: .

Sorry about all the questions I'm asking lately, but I am on leave and trying to get a move on with the ol' girl. 8)

Kind regards
Mervyn

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Mervyn,

I have used a product called POR 15. It comes as a sealing kit with a cleaner, the coating agent and a very precise set of instructions. The whole process takes several days to do if you follow the instructions exactly and if you do the results are fantastic. My E27N fuel tank was so badly rusted that I had to weld a 3 foot by 1 foot patch into the bottom. Even after patching there were lots of thin spots and pin holes. After the POR 15 the fuel tank is the only thing that does not leak on my tractor. The cleaning and drying parts of the process are critical, take your time on these steps and the sealing will be a breeze.
I have not had any experience with RED COTE so I can't comment on how well it works, but POR 15 worked like a treat for me.

Regards, Frank.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Aussie

Thank you very much for the information on POR 15. Unfortunately like the Red Kote POR 15 is not available in this God forsaken country of ours. Why I don't know. I am told that the Silverton radiator franchise are the only company that do the lining of tanks, and you know how much those guys charge. Remember some 4 years back they gave me a quote of about in your currency 300 dollars to line a wolseley 3hp stationary engine fuel tank. Never had it done.

I will take my tank to them and wait for the quote. Short of that I will have to import either the Red Kote or POR15 and try and do it myself. The one company over in the US sell POR15 in kit form, five different products that you would use to clean out the muck, derust, degrease, then primer and lastly the sealer. Hope I have the order right. Watch this space :)

Kind regards
Mervyn.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Mervyn, I've done quite a few motorcycle tanks, and a couple of tractor tanks over the years. I've also fixed one botched job someone else made with a tank liner kit. (not a fun or easy task)

Just to re-enforce what Frank stated.....the prep is very critical....the metal must be clean and dry....and read the instructions with the kit carefully. Done right, the results are very durable. Just sold a 'classic' cycle with a tank that I lined 25 years ago...it's still leak & rust free.

I've always used either KREEM brand or KBS coatings products. No experience with REDCOTE. KREEM brand used to be in all the cycle shops in this part of the world. KBS can be ordered over the internet.
POR has a very good reputation also.

Regards

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good morning Commander

Thank you for your helpful information and advice. I googled the KBS Coatings site and was very impressed with the four videos that one can view online of the complete operation from start to finish on how to apply their product, really worth viewing. Now I can understand why it is a rather expensive repair if you give it to someone else to do.

If you have the patience and will I'm sure it can be sucessfully achieved as you have proved yourself. Still have not found a product of that nature in my neck of the woods.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Fuel tank lining

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
I have used a product called "Slosh" here in the UK on Stationery Engine Fuel tanks. It is obtainable from several Vintage Tractor suppliers but is not cheap. It is a Laytex type material that you slosh or swirl around the inside of the tank. With thorough cleaning first (I used a good handful of nuts large and small) and several layers the result was first class. Even quite large pin holes can be covered if you cover the outside with tape first.

Regards

Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi
Thanks chaps for your input . I googled the slosh and it also is not available down here. Also sounds a good product.

I approached the radiator repair shop in our town this morning and asked them to give me an idea on what price I would have to pay them to do it and they indicated someware around R1700.00 which converts to about 112 pounds. I have decided that I may ask them to do it as I have some sort of an allergy to chemicals I think as a result of spray painting with K2 paint and foolishly not wearing a mask(pure ignorance) I also feel that the work will at least be garuateed for a while.

Kind regards
Mervyn