Dexta vs Super Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Dexta vs Super Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi,
How much better is the Super than the Dexta for farm work? Are there any jobs that the super will do that the dexta won't.
Forgive my naive question but any advice appreciated before I take the plunge.
Thanks,
Ben

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

I believe the Super Dexta engine is 152 cubic inch displacement and the Dexta is 144 CID. My Super Dexta has live PTO and locking rear end. I don't know if this was optional or if all Super's had these features. Some of the Dextas did not have live power and locking rear end. Be aware that a clutch replacement for tractors (of any brand) with live PTO is a lot more expensive than single stage clutch tractors.
Having said that, I love the live PTO! But, I have not yet had to replace the clutch.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

terry274 wrote:I love the live PTO!
Terry
Terry,
When do you find the live drive useful?
Thanks,
Ben

terry274
True Blue

Post by terry274 »

I use my tractor primarily for bush hog work. A lot of the area that I have to cut is confined by trees and other objects. If I have to reverse into an area, the bush hog does not stop with the live pto.
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

WayneB
True Blue

Have Both

Post by WayneB »

My Dexta has a rebuilt engine, 152 CI @ 400 hours.
My Super Dexta has @ 5000 hours and it outworks the Dexta no doubt. Best tool to judge power is my Woods RM 990 finish mower. Worked the Dexta, but when I put the Super Dexta in front of that mower, I was able to cut in 2 High (5th) where the Dexta would work hard in 3L (3d). Secondly, I have larger tires on the Super Dexta. I was cutting fescue two foot in height.

There is no doubt my Super Dexta has more power. It shows with every tool I use it with, double disk plow, scarifier cultivator, bush-hog.

When I rebuilt my Dexta, it got new liners, pistons, rebuilt injectors, and it runs sweet. The Super Dexta was locked up when I got it, worked four months breaking pistons loose, honed it out, put a head-gasket on and been running it since.

So pleased with the Super, I bought another (parts). Complete, so maybe it will run also.

They got it right with the Super Dexta. I would love to have one of them way back (then) new.

Wayne
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

Jos Cuypers
True Blue

Post by Jos Cuypers »

Ben,

The only difference is the HP that goes from 32 to 44 BHP. That's it.

So, using the tractor is more depending on the added options. But these can be mounted on both Dexta and Super Dexta.
Example : Live hydraulics / Front Loader / Rear pulley / ....

To give you some idea : I use a 1.8m Grass-mower (the manual indicates a 55 HP tractor for this equipment) behind my 32 HP Dexta, but I drive in a lower gear.... and it is working just fine (and I can spend more time driving my blue girl :D )
Rgds
Jos

My dexta has 32 Horse power, but a donkey behind the steering wheel.

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Historically, I'm inclined to the regular Dexta. The appeal of those is larger than that of the Super (for me, at least). But in any working environment, the extra power of a Super always comes in handy. On present-day dairy farms for example, the absolute rock bottom power required for any recently built implement seems to be 40HP. Exit Dexta, enter Super. In terms of traction it doesn't make much difference because traction is determined by many factors (not just HP). But anything with PTO, yep, go for the Super.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Super or Not?

Post by Bensdexta »

All,
Thanks for the very helpful advice. So the extra power of the Super Dexta will come in handy for farm work.
Only downside may be that a Super does not class as 'vintage' and is probably not as collectable.
Thanks again,
Ben