Dotty has Starter Problems

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Dotty has Starter Problems

Post by Brian »

Thanks for trying Robert. Canada is where a lot were supposed to go but it is over 50 years ago! :cry:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

[quote="super6954"]Been doing this X years and never had one, gas what :?: and never heard of a gas Dexta, They are all Perkins diesels aren't they :?: . :eyes: :cry: .

Didn't someone write a post somewhere on the origins of the Dexta Diesel engine??? :eyes: I wonder who that was? :thumbs:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Brian wrote:Thanks for trying Robert. Canada is where a lot were supposed to go but it is over 50 years ago! :cry:
Hi Brian
No problem you do enough for us guys on the forum, so was looking to see if I could help you out in your hour of need :) . I don't know how many came here 50 odd years ago ,Maybe you have a better Idea :?: .
All I know is this is a big country with a lot of yards with a "North 40" basically a field full of junk in the bushes :lol: . Chances are a lot of them are out there still ( I found 3 complete for sale) , but alot have not made a public appearance yet, or went to the big yard in the sky, as nobody really cared a few years ago :cry: .
It is amazing what turns up round here in this country, if you know who to talk to or know a man that knows a man as they say :) .
I got a guy on the hunt for the stock of new Fordson parts that came from the old dealers in the town my girlfriend comes from.
I'm getting close to the end of that trail :) . Hopefully it ends as something nice, and not just a pile of the rusty left overs they could not sell in the day, and want way too much money for "as it's rare obsolete stuff" :!: .
The Swanndri Guy wrote:
super6954 wrote:Been doing this X years and never had one, gas what :?: and never heard of a gas Dexta, They are all Perkins diesels aren't they :?: . :eyes: :cry: .

Didn't someone write a post somewhere on the origins of the Dexta Diesel engine??? :eyes: I wonder who that was? :thumbs:
Yes I believe they did :) . to be honest Im not surprised by what they said, as half the guys in the yards I deal with, have been educated to the difference between a major, power major, and both supers, and informed there is no such thing as a "super power major" who ever made that one up :eyes: .
Just going slightly off Brians topic I see you have a Valtra 900 :) . I just got a 2000, 6400 Hi Trol fwa with loader. what fantastic tractors the Valtras are. I wish I had mine when it was new :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Valtras are brilliant tractors! One of the best designs I have seen. I had a friend in Buckinghamshire who farmed in a steep valley, all his land was on a slope on either side of a river. In the 1980's he bought a new Valmet 4wd, around 60hp, with a turbo charged three cylinder mounted way out over the front axle. That tractor was so powerful and stable, the grip was phenomenal. He had David Browns before the Valmet and could not work up the slopes but with the Valmet it would go up, down and across with ease. Valmet is an earlier name for Valtra, see also BM-Volvo and Volvo :D

More Dotty woes!!!!!!!!!

Got her all back together and went out on Wednesday for some bush cutting and working the pumpkin land down with a springtine cultivator. She purred!!!! Came home and changed the oil and filter. On Thursday took Henrietta down the field and worked till earlier afternoon with the hand rotovator between parsnips and flowers, when I came home for a late lunch I left the rotovator and transport box down the field and after lunch went back to pick it up with Dotty. She started OK but every time she was throttled down heavy oil smoke poured from the exhaust! I checked the oil level in case I had over filled her but it was just below the full mark on the stick. I ran her down the road to collect the box and when running the exhaust was clear and she ran well but as soon as you shut the throttle, clouds (and I mean clouds) of blue grey oil smoke.

I got home and parked her up as I needed to get the weeds sorted but the rain came in so I started to check her over on Friday morning. No start! No compression!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I now have the engine in bits!! The pistons are wet with oil on all cylinders!! My immediate reaction is either faulty rings or valve guides but why did it come on so suddenly? There is little bore wear, no broken rings and the big ends are like new so she will get a set of rings and new shells. The inside of the engine is spotlessly clean.

I'm wondering whether the work and the new oil softened up the carbon seal and cleaned it from the pistons or if the valve guide seals have failed. Certainly very strange. I am using Morrises 20/50W in all the tractors and cannot see why this should be a problem as it has been running for over a year now. :scratchhead:

Well its just another job to sort and really quite easy to fix, no problem stripping her out and she will be good as new right back to the gearbox when I finish! :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Bit of a wild suggestion but have you checked the holes in the piston behind the oil control rings?
A friend had new pistons and they never drilled out the oil rings groove to allow the oil to get away.
Also did you check if the breather pipe was clear?
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I am wondering about the breather pipe Jerry, usually Standard engines have a valve in the banjo bolt in the rocker cover and there is one shown in the petrol Dexta parts book but Dotty does not have one. I am wondering whether she drew oil into the inlet manifold from the valve cover, there is certainly a lot of oil in the valve cover when she is running.

We did a hard days work, probably the hardest I have worked her since I had her, with no problems, this came on after an oil change and a nights rest. :scratchhead:

She is all stripped out and cleaned up now and I can find nothing at all wrong except for the missing valve. It will be good to get her all checked and back together with new rings.
Brian

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

at least the bolt is excessable , ish after the rebuild ,

or at least it would be on a fergie , is the tank the same place as on the diesel ?

out of interest is the starter ring bolted on to the fly wheel
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Brian
Sorry to hear of your other issues :cry: I was away this weekend and before I got back today that wrecker that had the Gas Dexta called and left a message, Sounds like he might of found a starter ring gear, Are you still looking for one :?: As I need to call him back and let him know whats happening :) .
The Valtras my favorite modern tractor right now :wink: nothings gonna knock the blues outta first in the old world for a good few years :)
Regards Robert

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tom, the bolt is in the usual Fergy place with no tank over it. The ring gear is shrunk on not bolted.

Robert, the ring gear deal is going through at the moment so I am OK, once again many thanks. The biggest cost is going to be transport from Canada but there is no chance of getting one here in England. The repaired one is working well so the other will be a spare. Have seen enough of the inside of a petrol Dexta engine at the moment. :D

Going top see Malcolm Hipperson shortly and see what bits he has, then will start putting her back together.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Brian wrote:Tom, the bolt is in the usual Fergy place with no tank over it. The ring gear is shrunk on not bolted.

Robert, the ring gear deal is going through at the moment so I am OK, once again many thanks. The biggest cost is going to be transport from Canada but there is no chance of getting one here in England. The repaired one is working well so the other will be a spare. Have seen enough of the inside of a petrol Dexta engine at the moment. :D
Ok no problem :) .
I don't know if you have seen it that petrol engine has come back on ebay (Item no 190846541241)That I was talking about for your friends manifold. looks like it's a newer 2700 series :?: , guys put a better picture up. but I wonder if the manifolds are the same :| .
The newer major manifolds fit on the first of the 2700 series diesel 4's that I have here, so might be worth looking :) . It's another hard to find part that probably won't be cheap :cry:.. The guys had it a fair while though so he must be into the offers territory :wink: The forum might as well try going 2 for 2 as you got your rare part :)
Regards Robert