Dexta Hydraulics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nick
True Blue

Dexta Hydraulics

Post by Nick »

Finally ive found some time to spend on the dexta, first problem is the hydraulics. Ive never taken them apart and the tractor had been stood for some time before I got hold of it 18months ago. Basicly, the lift arms go up once and every now and again they will go up again but thats it, they go down on the quadrant ok, but you have to lift the quadrant all the way to the top before they move, any ideas anyone?

Also if ive got to take the top off would it be an idea to give it all re-build inside? I doubt whether its ever seen the light of day since new :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta Hydraulics

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi Nick,

I've got the same problem. "Sticky" hydraulics that once in the down position don't follow the quadrant up, but only raise themselves once the quadrant is pulled right up to the top. Planning to pull the top cover off at the weekend and start an overhaul -- I'm guessing but I think it might be the control valve that is sticking.

Chris

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi chris, thanks for that info. Let me know how you get on with yours, if possible take a couple pictures :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi Nick,

No pics yet (I'd like to get everything cleaned up before I take my camera near it), but I can confirm that the source of my hydraulic issues is the usual problem with the position control cam follower pin. Really worn, just like the many photographs available on the web. Now if I could just get the main control spring seat off the plunger in order to take everything apart...

More updates soon!

Chris

Trevorthetractor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Trevorthetractor »

Hi Chris
I was faced with the same problem; I managed to re face the cam follower peg by carefully building it up with weld (gas) without removing the arm.
I discovered later that the shuttle valve was sticking in the piston housing, it is behind the two covers fixed with two or three bolts, once the covers are off you will see a threaded plug use a slide hammer to remove it then carefully clean it up the re fit with plenty of oil. Then re check the settings (see my other posts)
Keith (TtT)
:)

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi All,

Sorry for the long silence! I'm actually in the middle of reassembling my lift cover, having finally got it to pieces. After I had:

1) freed the Qualitrol yoke which was rusted onto the plunger -- lots of penetrating oil and a breaker bar
2) pulled the spring seat off the plunger -- well seized, took lots of penetrating oil and blowtorch treatment
3) applied the same heat tactic to the hydraulic control lever

I was able to dismantle the position/draft control linkage. On the advice of Les Bryant (thanks Les!), I tapped out the old cam follower pin with a pin punch, and replaced it with the end cut off a 5/16" drill bit. This appears to work really well.

I'm now awaiting a new Qualitrol plunger and spring seat to come from the UK, pending making up a couple of gaskets and a felt washer. Hopefully I'll have everything back together in the next couple of weeks.

Question: does anybody know how to get the plugs out of the (newer style) accessory cover? I've a leaking one which I'd really like to replace the O ring on...

Cheers,

Chris

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

do u mean the round blanking plugs , about 1 " round ?
I think there was a post about this some were , but I carefully drilled the centre dot of the plug with a thin drill bit , prob 2 / 3 mm , then screwed in a self taping screw and pulled on that with pliyers
use caution when drilling / u can easily drill straight thru :oops: and make a hole !!
prob either come straight out easy or be a reel pain un stuck sold :beer:
a tap with a parallel punch and small hammer to shock it a thou , prob help . All down to how much rust ect holding it in I guess.
worth the effort I think to know that all the seals / o rings are changed .
I cant remember it there held in , or if they just pull straight out m8 sorry , prob just the give in the rubber holding them in .

hope this makes sense tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

ooppps
blonde moment, :buddies: :buddies: the roll pins holding the plug in .
I forgot :beer:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.