Blue Battery Leads

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Spoots1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Blue Battery Leads

Post by Spoots1 »

Does anybody know where to get blue battery cable? All I can find anywhere is red or black! Have seen plenty of restored dexta's with new blue cable's so someone must supply it? Any ideas Guys.
1963 New Performance Super Dexta (in bits)
1981 John Deere 2140

PghBill
True Blue

Re: Blue Battery Leads

Post by PghBill »

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Why dont you just wrap them in blue insulation tape?

Or you could get some neutral cable, but it would have to be tri-rated, like the kind you find inside distribution boards etc
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

No idea where you could get blue cable from, however you could get black, and sleeve it with some blue heat shrink tubing from here..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-15mm-Heat ... 23299654ae

Much more professional and long lasting than insulation tape.

Just slide it over, and heat it gently with a blowtorch or heat gun until it shrinks around the cable gripping it tightly.

:wink:
Mark

Spoots1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spoots1 »

Thanks for a your suggestions guys, I have a few options now so will get something sorted!
1981 John Deere 2140

Spoots1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spoots1 »

Have managed to source blue battery cable, good old ebay! When I looked there a couple of weeks ago there was nothing, but checked again yesterday and low and behold I found some! :D For anyone else looking, its 247supplieslimited who are selling 10mm blue battery cable at a very reasonable rate per metre.
1981 John Deere 2140

Spoots1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spoots1 »

Hi again guys, I received my blue battery cable through the post the other day only to be disappointed! It is only 6mm in diameter??? I contacted the sellar who informed me that the nominal cross-sectional area is 10mm squared! So I have had to return it and get a refund. So the search still continues! :(
1981 John Deere 2140

wfillingham
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by wfillingham »

Personally, I think the blue heat shrink is the way to go... in the past i repaired a satellite nav system and heat shrink was actually superior to the original material of the cable.....

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Sorry about my not very 'professional' suggestion, were the battery leads not black from factory, or were they blue?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Nick wrote:Sorry about my not very 'professional' suggestion, were the battery leads not black from factory, or were they blue?
Nick,
Don't go gettin your knickers in a knot. :wink: This forum is more like a brain trust. Where members share solutions to help other members with their questions and problems, either thru logic or experience. The final solution falls on the member asking the question. Either by personal preference or affordability. I've got some great ideas and advice since joining this forum. Your input, I'm sure, will be put to use somewhere in somebody's solution to their problem.
Don't ever be afraid to post.
Bill

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

Sorry Nick, wasn't meaning to upset anyone with what I was saying.

I was purely meaning that insulation tape tends to become brittle with the heat from the engine and then cracks and breaks off, where as heat shrink doesn't.

Regards,
Mark

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Dont worry I wasnt upset! I have seen some heat resistant blue fabric stuff which may have also done the job, but heat resistant sleeving seems the quickest and easiest thing :D

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Nick wrote:were the battery leads not black from factory, or were they blue?
Dextas and Super Dextas in Canada started out with blue cables.

(Well, atleast the ones I have seen....)

Cheers,
Les

Spoots1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spoots1 »

I didn't mean for things to get heated! Blue heat shrink is what I am going to try as I already have some left over black cable from another tractor. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
1981 John Deere 2140