sliding gear pictures, pto problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
terry274
True Blue

sliding gear pictures, pto problem

Post by terry274 »

I split the tractor between the rear end and transmission to try and determine why the pto does not fully engage with the pto lever. I could find nothing wrong. However, I noticed that the sliding gear is welded. I assume this is from the factory but would like to have someone confirm that it looks normal. The pictures did not turn out great, but I believe you can see what I am talking about. My only thought at this time is that at some point the sliding gear broke and has been welded. If it were welded a little too long, it would behave in the manner that my tractor is acting. Sorry to be such a bother on this problem, but it is really bugging me to figure out WHY parts that seem to have minimal wear don't work correctly.
And:
Here is a picture of the pump drive gear and the bushing for the sliding gear. Does it look normal?
Again, thanks for any help on this matter,
Terry
--
1964 Fordson Super Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The weld looks like a standard Ford weld. I am wondering if the teeth had worn off the engaging gear at some time in the past and it has been replaced with one from a 2 or 3000. The original was P/No. E66GE9 but this will not be the one in use today. It might be worth checking with a Ford dealer.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hi Terry

Just wondered how you were getting on with the PTO problem :?: .

I have just been going through Stefan's detailed discription on his Dexta Project 1 and on page 17 he has a clear picture of the sliding shaft. Your concern was that you thought it had been worked on since leaving the factory those years back. If you compare your picture and that of Stefans the welding work don't differ too much. Just some food for thought :scratchhead:

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thank you very much for rearranging that post Brian.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hey Mervyn are you and Brian one and the same? If not then you have grown a beard!!!
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mervyn could not grow a beard like mine Mark, it has to be done under glass(es) :lol:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mark

I'm sorry to have confused you there :wink: . We could be part of the same clan as my ancestors were originally from Leeds. About the beard :wink: its far too hot here in SA to wear a beard although I may be proved wrong :?:

Keep 8)
Kind regards
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Mervyn,
My clan is also from England, a place called Staffordshire. Through my last name and my grandmothers last name. Which is Preston.

Brian you got me about the "glasses" I've never seen you wear them, yet you have a beard. I used to have a beard when I was in my twenties, wife said it looked like I had the mange so I shaved it off. Prolly could grow one now, but like Mervyn it's to blasted hot.
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I had not noticed!! In the picture I have not got my glasses on!! :lol:

I have worn glasses since the age of seven but now a days my eyes vary daily and so, some times I do not wear them all the time.

Mark, We could even be related!! My mothers family lived in Staffordshire and I was born in Overseal a little mining village there. Isn't it a small world.

My ancestors farmed land in Wellington in Shropshire, on a small "Mountain" there called The Wrekin. I remember going back there for a visit when I was in my late teens with my parents, the barn loft was full of old engines, the hit and miss variety, that had been used on the farm over the years. They would be an interesting collection now but I would suspect they have all gone to China by now.

Further back in time in the 1800's the family came over from Ireland though we have not gone that far back yet.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
What was your mother's maiden name?
My mother's ancestors came from Holland and Germany, from the line of VanHusen. They came over in 1620, the story says they came over for freedom of religion. I've read a lot about that part of history, in my family. Someone in the family started the VanHusen clothing empire here in America and got rich, but I can take that information and 5 bucks and go to McDonald's and have a meal.
The Preston line started with Phillip Preston who came over before the Revolutionary war started in 1770's. His ancestors are buried in a church yard in Staffordshire, England.
It is a small world, we all are related somehow, there's no doubt.
Wish I could browse the records in England, on my family, that would be very interesting.

I believe I have gotten of topic and robbed Terry of his thread, for that I apologize to him.
Maybe we should start a new thread, genealogy is an interesting topic. There maybe others that would like to talk about their heritage. Feel free to do so if you like.
Last edited by Mark on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The census records going back to the 1800's are on line. I think there is a small charge though.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

I'd need to see the 1700's census's. Haven't been able to find those online.
See ya
Mark