How Did The Dexta Get Its Name?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

How Did The Dexta Get Its Name?

Post by JC »

I was trying to explain what a Major is to one of my co-workers. He said, "I remember those. One of my neighbors had one when I was a teenager. It was blue and had a 3-cylinder diesel." I told him that it must have been a Dexta. He said, "That's a funny name. Where did they get that?" I doesn't sound funny to me, because I've heard it so much, I guess. I didn't have any idea where the name came from. Does anyone here?

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

A good question that I think might have bounced around inside the head of many people without actually being asked.

I don't know the actuall answer and have never heard it discussed anywhere, but I'd like to put forward what I have adopted as my own reasoning or association.

Whilst the spelling is DEXTA, sometimes names can't be used because of copyright etc. Well I always relate the DEXTA name with the Dexter Cattle! Reason??? Well Dexter cattle are a historical breed and can possibly be as original as they were from as far back as the Bronze Age. They are credited with being Irish, but are special for a number of reasons. They are SMALL in size, very PRODUCTIVE, very ROBUST, ECONOMICAL and can survive in areas where their larger counterparts can't! All attributes I would think of as being good Sales Spiel in talking tractors! :mrgreen:

Now the only thing that I think would go against that theory is that Dexter Cattle are pure BLACK! :P

Warning: if anyone is going to post a Factual reason for the name Dexta, that isn't as romantic as what I've described, then I don't want to read it!!! So give me plenty of warning at the start of your post! OK? :mrgreen:

regards to all,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No-one really knows but I feel that Rick is right. It is what I have always understood to be the reason for the name.

Regarding the colour, Dexter cattle are a BLUE-black :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JC

Post by JC »

We call black and white Queensland Heeler dogs "Blue Heelers", so I guess Dexter cattle are really blue, too. OK, mystery solved. Thanks Brian and Rick!

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

How did the Dexta get it's name

Post by BarryM »

Sorry guys, you are all barking up the wrong tree.

Prior to the Dexta being released in Australia, the Ford Motor Company handed out to the media some pre-release information about the engine, transmission, hydraulics, etc. I have a copy of this and in the last line, it tells what the word Dexta means, and it doesn't mention cattle (especially blue ones, Brian)

Now, because this thread could become interesting with many different opinions, I intend to sit on the answer for a few days to see what eventuates.
BarryM

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Are you a Latin scholar (I'm not!). However I think 'dexter' in latin means 'right', 'on the right', 'right hand'. So little blue is perhaps the farmer's right hand 'man' or mate. Perhaps that's origin of the cow's name also?
Of course Major is latin also for 'bigger (or the English word 'major'). Bigger than what one asks? The Fergie?

Perhaps an Italian scholar can confirm that 'destra' means right - only two letters different and clearly derived from the latin?
Hope Barry's correct when he eventually reveals his theory!
Ben
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Well Guys,

I think we finally got there. I've been researching this myself and agree with the latest findings.
Reasoning?
1) It is derived from the Latin meaning 'of the right hand'.
2) Medical terminology is based on latin so for example, OD means Occular Dexter or Right Eye.
3) It is commonly used in British Heraldry, Dexter denoting anything on the right of a coat of arms.
4) A squires Dextra was his main assistant or Right Hand Man.
5) Our 'Enry liked to be considered an educated man.

So, the farmers new right hand man had to be called a Dexta.
Works for me :)

Mike

Bensdexta
True Blue

Dexta

Post by Bensdexta »

Whatever it means - it's a great name! Clever marketing whoever thought of it. More imaginative that TE20!
What's even more remarkable is that it's a name that's not used much for other things. An obscure little blue tractor comes up top on a google search!
All the best,
Ben

JC

Post by JC »

OK. Dexter, destra, and dextra all have the letter "r" in them. Dexta doesn't. Does that make it a different word or maybe a different form of the same word?

Laney
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Laney »

Hi Gents - I read somewhere the name Dexta is short for "dexterity" which may be how they were initially marketed - if they could only cook and clean.....
Cheers

Laney

henk

Post by henk »

But they can Laney,

Didn't you know! :lol:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

JC

Post by JC »

My tractors don't seem to be able to cook and clean, but sometimes they make the cooking and cleaning department in the house a little unhappy :lol:

How much longer are you going to torture us, BarryM?

Meanderer
True Blue

Post by Meanderer »

I'm certain that it has nothing to do with Dexterity or the like. More likely we are going to be told it is an acronym. Something stupid like:

Designed
Exclusively (for)
eXport
To
Australia (or if you like Antartica)
:stress:

......... :eyes: ......... :twisted: ......... :run:

Cheers
'
Regards,
Rick

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Wrap an egg in a handkerchief and pop it into the radiator for a while. Or wrap a potato in tinfoil and put it on the manifold of a paraffin tractor when ploughing. Then be ready with some fresh butter when you open it! :lol:

As far as the cleaning goes, we have PTO vaccum cleaners about here for cleaning grain stores :lol:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

How did the Dexta get it's name

Post by BarryM »

Hi Guys,

Time to reveal all. Ben and Mike go to the top of the class as you both have the correct theory.

In June 1958 in an article printed for the release of 'The 'Dexta' - Ford's New Light Tractor, there is a photo, and under this photo it reads:-

The new Fordson Dexta Diesel tractor. The name means "right hand to' and refers to its connection with the Fordson Major.

Anyone who collects Sales Brochures of that era, will see that the Dexta is always placed on the right hand side of the Major and is usually quoted as 'The Major Gets a Workmate'.

So, there you are guys. No dogs and no cows (especially the blue feet version).
BarryM

Meanderer
True Blue

Post by Meanderer »

'onya Barry,

That doesn't read too bad the way you've worded it. I can accept that.
So it is the Major's right hander and not the farmer's, unless he has a Major as well? :?
Mmmmm (tempted to go back and edit my last post!!!) :oops:

Whilst I'll always remember this explanation, I'll still relate the tractor to the robust little dexter cattle. (It works for me)

:thumbs:
'
Regards,
Rick

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Barry,
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder who thought of the name?!
Ben

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Thanks for finally putting us out of our misery Barry.
Any chance of scanning that page and sending to Oscar for publishing with a watermark? Then we can all see it.

How many realise that this has probably solved two mysteries instead of one?

Shall I? No! ... Oh, go on then, I can't resist it.

It's the question of Brians favourite Orange Grills.

Do you think it's because they were designed to show it was Amber Dextrous :rofl: :rofl: :run:

Mike
Last edited by Mike Kuscher on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henk

Post by henk »

Brian wrote:Wrap an egg in a handkerchief and pop it into the radiator for a while. Or wrap a potato in tinfoil and put it on the manifold of a paraffin tractor when ploughing. Then be ready with some fresh butter when you open it! :lol:

As far as the cleaning goes, we have PTO vaccum cleaners about here for cleaning grain stores :lol:
I told you they could. You can also hang a rotating broom on the DEXTA, and she will clean. :lol:

Glad I know the answer now. Manny thanks Barry.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Paul »

Amber Dexterous...... :D

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH ...now that was low brow humour at it's best.... well done ... deserves a round of applause for sure.. !! hahahahahaha
:clap: :thumbs: :rofl:
Make it Better for the next person and We all end up Better off.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Mike,
You're a poet and don't know it! I liked that one a lot.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer