Single Clutch Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Dextavitis
Not Quite Blue Yet

Single Clutch Dexta

Post by Dextavitis »

Here goes with my first, of many I'm sure, foray into this Forum.
I have recently bought a single clutch Dexta with a view to performing a mild restoration and the first problem I've encountered is changing gears! I can't select a gear when running with out the sound of cogs grinding, so I split the tractor in two thinking the clutch plate needed changing only to discover that it and the thrust bearing appear new. Am I right in thinking the only other cause is the clutch cover itself - possibly someones had a go at adjusting the levers and it's not pulling squarely?, or it's just worn out.

Whilst I was in there I removed the flywheel to check the crankshaft rope seal, that also appears new, but drips oil steadily when the tractor is running

Your thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

Jan 59
True Blue

Re: Single Clutch Dexta

Post by Jan 59 »

Had this problem with my Dexta, found that clutch plate did not slide easy over shaft splines. Cleaned and polished splines, lubricated with a small amount of
molykote anti-seize compound and works allright .
This stuff is only ok when used sparingly, in contact with the clutch plate linings you end with a slipping clutch.

Dextavitis
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dextavitis »

Thank you for that, I will investigate further.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi .. welcome :beer:

oil from the rear crank / engine ( or the transmition for that matter ) leaking on to the clutch will give ur exact symptoms .clutch bind / drag .

mine does it / needs renewing also . :roll:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Dextavitis
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dextavitis »

Thanks, it is pretty oily in there, but there is no contamination on the clutch plate itself.
I have now purchased another thrust bearing that appears to be about .5mm thicker than the one I've got and my parts shop, having established that the 3 levers are pulling squarely, suggested I back each adjuster off half a turn and see if that makes a difference (I know this is against the advice of the manual). So that is my task for today.
Whilst it's still on blocks and supported by a hoist, I usually put the tractor back together replacing just four bolts, basic electrics and fuel lines so I can start it up straight away to see if the clutch is disengaging - I'm getting very good at splitting this tractor!