Left trumpet housing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Left trumpet housing

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Please can someone help?? I have replaced all the bearings of the two rear half shafts and the carrier bearings on the crown wheel/gear. On the left side of the crown wheel is a face that rubs onto a block on the inside of the left rear axle housing. I have been told that this block has a bit of wear on it, does anybody have any idea what the original thickness of the block was or does it warrant fussing about. To me this block appears to support the crown wheel if not what is its purpose? In the parts book it is numbered 45 under the differential section.

dexta roadless
True Blue

Re: Left trumpet housing

Post by dexta roadless »

I guess it is ment to support the crown wheel when heavy load. I can't find it mentioned in the workshop handbook, but I suggest you take out the crown wheel and place it in the trumpet and measure the distance between it and the block. However-- I wouldn't bother.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Left trumpet housing

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

That's a good idea, the crown wheel is out together with the housing and half shaft and is at the engineers premises. I will speak to them on Monday and suggest they try what you have suggested. I am however inclined to just put it all together and listen for any strange noises. Thanks Dexta Roadless.