Hand break bushes

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Hand break bushes

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Anyone out there had to replace the bushes on the hand break that fits over the left break cam shaft?

tom lad
True Blue

Re: Hand break bushes

Post by tom lad »

no m8 sorry
but love the see photos of that area as the lever on my s dexta has never worked / held on properly .and I don't know which bits wrong .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Tomlad
I'm sorry I can't help with pictures yet as my hand brake lever and the rods/shafts that it works on are at the engineers. I think the biggest problem with the hand brake is that it never gets lubricated. There is a little hole on the hand brake that slides over the brake shaft which I would feel needs some oil periodically. We are thinking of fitting a grease nipple in that hole so that one can pump some grease into it. As soon as I get the stuff back I will take some pictures for you and post.

Mervyn Spencer

Les bryant
True Blue

Post by Les bryant »

There should be a grease nipple in the hole .Les.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Les, thanks for the confirmation. Both my hand brakes did not have grease nipples, but I suppose that can be expected after 50 odd years service. Hopefully I may get my hand brake back next week fitted with new bushes if they are available in this part of the world.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

thanx m8

think mines got a grease nipple too.

a lot of lateral play /travel on mine , left/right along the shaft ,?
my left hand mudguard looks like its of a fergie , so don't know if the ratchet tooth piece is bolted at the correct position ?
I,ve been buying a new pair of mudguards for a while , not done it yet . :oops:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Tomlad, The brake shaft that the hand brake fits over actually pivots/slides into the wider section of the trumpet housing where you will find a bush. That bush may need replacing which in my case I am hoping the engineers can/will do. What I also noted was that the brake shaft that works in that bush is worn and needs building up. What I also noted was that that right hand shaft was not as badly. That left right play on yours to me definitely points to the bushes of the hand brake been worn. When I removed my hand brake I had rather a battle due to rust. I also agree that it is important to have the ratchet accurately positioned on the mud guard, which when I get there will need some guidance as when I had my mudguards panelbeated they closed up the holes with body filler so I have no idea where they should be :?: I am hoping to get my parts back this week so I can take some pics and post them.

Mervyn

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

cheers m8 :beer:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi, I'm surprised that with all the restorations that have been done, that no one has had to change the bushes of the hand brake. I hear that they are available and were used on probably the earlier Ford 1000 series, but where you find them in the world I don't know. :(

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

update on my hand brake
had the mudguard off to see in the back end , could then take out the ratchet paw , it was badly worn , that's why it wont hold on the to stationary toothed part , filed it to a point and now I have a hand brake :beer:
couldn't slide the paw out b4 because it wont clear the mudguard .
tom

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

When I restored my old gal, someone had driven an easy out the same size as the hole that hold's the paw on, into it and it took a while, because of the location to get that bugger out. If you have a man that's handy with a metal lathe you can have them made to fit. I had to have mine hand made because like you said "where in the world are they." I used oil impeded brass for my bushes and they work nicely. In your holes where the grease fitting go, do you have threads in them? I seem to remember that some of them were pressed in, not a good way to do things in my humble opinion. So I threaded mine and put new grease fitting in. Best of luck.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I eventually found some bushes for my hand brake and trumpet housing where the brake shaft pivots in it. :D They were a little shorter than the original bushes and ever so slightly bigger (dia.) like one millimetre, but the engineers made up a dolly and pressed them in. They did promise to insert a grease nipple but I see they slipped up, :( anyway I shall do something similar to what you did Mark. Mentioning the ratchet part that bolts onto the mudguard, that may need to be replaced or re toothed don't know how that can be done :?: Fortunately I have a choice of two pawls one okay and the other worn. A further problem, some time back when I had my mudguards straightened and primed, the panel beaters closed up the holes where you fit the ratchet part so that could be a headache. :x
Mervyn

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

ariline sell the ratchet part new
don't know if it fits
I have one it is different to my original but it think my one had been butchered to fit a fergie mudguard .
looks very good quality to me tho.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks again Tom. I have been thinking of buying one from them but I may have to wait for the currency to improve. Our Rand is very weak at the moment something like 16:1, ie R16 to your pound :cry: I can try and get a quote from Sparex local and see how they match up.
Mervyn