HELP - Had Dexta 2 days - already done something stupid

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Nevis
True Blue

HELP - Had Dexta 2 days - already done something stupid

Post by Nevis »

Got my 61 Dexta with front loader on Friday
Today decided to change gearbox & back axle oil.
I did gearbox then without thinking undid bolt on the axle housing next to the hydraulic pump on same side as gearbox.
This obviously is not the level plug (its on the other side).
This bolt will now not go back in & grip a thread so I assume I something has fallen away.
What is this bolt - can I start the tractor without this bolt in place?
I assume I am now in for a lot of work.
Pictures attached.

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40 ... age039.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40 ... age038.jpg

Thanks in advance
Andy

WayneB
True Blue

My Son Did This

Post by WayneB »

What fell away was the nut on the filter and the filter. Now your bolt is finding nothing.
My son gave me this opportunty to explore my Super Dexta.
The fix.

Drop the lift control to about middle. Remove seat and top bolts to hydraulic cover. Remove lift arm pins. Remove pin from top hitch. Using cherry picker, or suitable lift, raise top cover suspended from seat bolt. Up front is the unloader valve and ram, lift from rear. To replace filter, only three or four inches is needed. Reach arm in fluid, find filter, pop back on tube, and replace bolt. Gasket is probably undamaged. Wipe area.
Reconnect top hitch pin, lift arm pins and top bolt. Replace seat. About one hour or less has passed. Have a beer.

PS--Some will say - replace filter while you are here. Some will suggest just wash in solvent. Its a wire mesh filter- make a choice and install a filter. I was amazed how EZ this task was.

WAYNE
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Like some of the other folks on this board, my old eyes aren't what they used to be .....but I believe you have removed the bolt that holds the hydraulic oil return tube/filter/back pressure valve in place...and the nut has fell into the sump.

You need to remove either the pump or the top housing to re-attach it. I believe the pump is easier/quicker to remove and should give you enough room to reach through and hold the nut in place.

Regards

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Thanks for the replies - I have since downloaded the manuals and can see the parts you are describing from the exploded diagram.
The tractor is currently outside & on these darker nights I would like to get it into shed to work on it - can the tractor be driven with the tube etc loose or is this not advisable. I am worried about the loose parts getting mangled.

Regards
Andy

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

Having searched the old forum I got the answer the my previous question - DO NOT drive tractor in case parts fall into PTO gears.
At least I checked before making a second mistake - I'll also have to remember Brian's 3 lessons:
Lesson No.1. Ask early.
Lesson No.2. Get handbook.
Lesson No.3. All level plugs are square spanner fittings!!!

Regards
Andy