Shaft - Hydraulic Top cover

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
edmundld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Shaft - Hydraulic Top cover

Post by edmundld »

I am restoring Super Dexta and lift linkage is seized. Can I just press out the main lift arm shaft, and will it at the same time push out one of the side bushes.
Looked in all Ford Manuals - no clue , and dont want to wreck anything.

edmundld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Shaft - Hydraulic Top cover

Post by edmundld »

For those who may have the same problems in the future.

This Dexta was used on a Market Garden, fitted for years with just a Forklift attachment, so the lift linkage never moved.

1) Pressed out shaft with 100 tonne press.
2) It pressed out one bush at the same time.Still stuck to the shaft.
3) Heated the bush to near red heat, and knocked it off.
4) Stripped it all down, cleaned it up, now back together again and working smoothly.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Wow, that is some pressure you had to use there. So there is still hope for me to get my bushes replaced. Where did you get your new bushes? Which way did you press the shaft out as I believe there is a thrust washer on one of the sides?

edmundld
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by edmundld »

Mervyn,

Pressed it out to tractors LHS, central spline will push the LHS bush out as well. Dont worry about the spacer, it's loose on the shaft and will not be damaged.
The Bush on the RHS will drift out easily now. Just clean up all surfaces and replace. If you need new bushes they seem to be of mild steel, so you can get someone to turn them up, cheaply. Once cleaned up all goes back together easily.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Edmund, thank you for the advice, when I have put my crown wheel/gear and rear axles etc. back together, I will make another effort to get that shaft out.

Mervyn