wheel bearning

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
sky blue
True Blue

wheel bearning

Post by sky blue »

how does one know if the rear wheel bearing has failed or what ever it does when
it breaks,does it give warning or does the wheel just lock up,ihave a
noise fror somewhere in the back of tractor , not all the time but sometimes
and am wondering would this be the cause, also can tractor still be driven if the wheel bearing
where to fail. sky blue

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: wheel bearning

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

A couple of weeks ago one of the members also reported a noise in the rear of his tractor and it turned out that some of his bolts securing the centre disk and the wheel rim were loose.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

Thanks for your reply Mervyn, i did see that post have checked the nuts , but i would like to know as i explained
how does one know when the rear bearing has failed ,
would the wheel come off, has anyone had a wheel bearing fail compleatly :scratchhe
i have seen a front bearing fail on the friends tractor on the front the wheel came off his grey diesel
right off and bounced along the road before ending up in a ditch lucky no one got hurt
am wondering is it the same for the rear.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Glad to hear that the rim bolts are tight.
I removed my rear axles awhile ago to get to the bearings and I do not believe that should you run a bearing the wheel will come off. There are ten bolts to remove securing the hub to the trumpet housing before you see the bearing in the hub. In my opinion if the bearing was worn you would hear some sort of grinding noise which would be continuous and not intermittent. My old bearings weren't really worn but I replaced them all as well as the crown wheel retainer bearings while I had all the rear end stripped. Hopefully someone else can put some light on the noise you are experiencing. Also in a past post someone mentioned putting the tractor on blocks and turning the wheels, that should give you some idea of strange noises. Please excuse me if I have missed the point.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi Mervyn, when are we going to get a peek at your little blue darling!! :clap:
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mark

When I saw your comment to Ben, the name Mark rang a bell :) .Nice to see you back.

Yes it has been a long time coming, but with having to under go two hip replacements and other health issues I did loose a bit of interest but I am slowly getting back to the restoration.

I had intentions of replacing the backend of the Dexta which does not have a difflock with one that does have one, but to cut a long story short that did not work out so I have had to resort back to plan B. I stripped the original rear end down replaced bearings on the crown wheel and rear axle plus bearings. You may have seen a question of mine some weeks back asking if anyone had replaced there handbrake bushes whilst restoring the tractors? Anyway I am still waiting for my engineering works to get back to me with my hand brake and trumpet housings.

I have had all the tin work painted but may still have to give the chassis etc. a final coat of paint. Even my wife and family are asking when I plan to get finished, but no assistance gets offered, probably a common issue all over the world :wink:.

Mark, thanks for your interest and sorry for the long story, hopefully I might have some pics available by year end. :beer:

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
at farm sales I've seen tractors were , on the back axle /brake drum area u can see that one side is lower than the other because the bearings very worn, several mm. off centre.
you would see that amount of wear when u jacked that axle up .

I would expect a failing bearing to be getting warm in use ?
I agree if jacked up u should be able to feel some play , prob have to remove the wheel to lessen the weight

brakes dragging would cause a noise.

hope this helps
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi thanking everone for their replys, got to the problem turns after checking
the wheel nuts , as myvern had said :oops: , i looked at the wheels again and found that
around the bolts for the middle plate 2 had rusted away and when presure went onto wheel
it made the noise a clicking sound, changed the wheel and noise is gone. :beer:
sky blue