Gear levers stuck

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Gear levers stuck

Post by Bensdexta »

Can't get the Dexta into gear.

The Hi Lo lever is jammed in neutral - won't budge.

LH lever will go into one gear only- other three gears no luck.

I've had the sticks off and sprayed oil/WD40 on the sliders. I can move the LH slider one direction only with a screw driver. But no other movement is possible. Operating the clutch doesn't help, neither does selecting the PTO.

Ideas please? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Gear levers stuck

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Ben, have you checked that those little steel balls that slip into the rail have not rusted in?When you lift the gear lever assembly off I'm sure you would have noticed I think 3 little balls that get depressed when the assembly is replaced, those balls rest on top of springs. Spray some wd40 on them and see what happens.I maybe barking up the wrong tree but its worth a try.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi , dont know if this helps, but if mine stick on a slope i have bother getting them
freed up must be the presure or weight of tractor, but getting her on even ground
helps to release them ,

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

This is how they look, stuck in neutral, (tractor rolls easily):

With left slider selected - the only movement I can get, but tractor still in neutral:

Tried levering and tapping the two stuck sliders, with a stout bar.

Next step appears to be to fill the gearbox brim full with mix of ATF & parafin + maybe a dose of acetone, which I've read on here is good for unseizing, and leaving to soak.

Annoying thing is gears were working fine, when I parked her up indoors, 3 months ago.

Any advice appreciated :wink:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Hi Ben, have you checked that those little steel balls that slip into the rail have not rusted in?When you lift the gear lever assembly off I'm sure you would have noticed I think 3 little balls that get depressed when the assembly is replaced, those balls rest on top of springs. Spray some wd40 on them and see what happens.I maybe barking up the wrong tree but its worth a try.
Should the three plungers, the white circles in my pics above, be springing up when I remove the cover plate (ref Fig24, p.14 of the Gearbox Workshop Manual)?
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Seeing that picture brings it all back to me. Those little plungers should definately be protruding about 1/4inch above the surface and be able to be pressed in under the spring tension. Under those plungers are springs then the round ball bearing which slips into the the grove on the rail. Use your wd 40 and try and work the plungers loose, be careful not to drop those balls. When I serviced mine the gearbox was striped.Hope that helps.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn,

Think I've fixed it - now have gears!

I tapped-tapped-tapped the tops of the plungers with a small punch and hey presto, one by one they gradually popped up. Fished out the springs, squirted plenty WD down the holes and gradually with the help of a lever bar behind the sliders they came free. Greased springs & plungers, & replaced.

Don't think I ever remember those little plungers popping up, so guess they've been rusted in a long time. Whipping them out seems a good way to oil the sliders.

Now after tea, I am going for a test run! Hopefully.. :wink:

Many thanks for the heads up! :beer:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Ben, glad to hear all is well, most times we imagine problems to be worse than they really are. Hope you enjoyed your tea and biscuits and then the joy ride. :clap:

Mervyn

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Yes ride was a joy! :D

Need to get topping!

Need to get topping!
Last edited by Bensdexta on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Great pics Ben, nice to see her running, even the sheep were impressed. Enjoy your topping. Countryside looks beautiful. :beer:

Mervyn

Bensdexta
True Blue

Cleaning out gearbox

Post by Bensdexta »

As a postscript, I think there's a fair amount of crud in my gearbox.

Any thoughts on getting it out?

I've read somewhere that the box can be filled with an ATF/parafin(kerosine) mix and then the tractor briefly driven, before refilling with the correct oil.

Another school of thought says this will break loose all the crud which will fly around doing damage to bearings. Better to use the proper oil and change frequently till clean (sounds expensive unless the oil can somehow be filtered and reused?).

Comments appreciated? :wink:

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Stunning photos Ben!

Congratulations on the Dexta. Looks so good!

I think it was Brian who suggested running a bit with diesel in the cases to wash things out.
I did that and it came out quite discoloured but did not have a peek inside after that.

Always was interested in finding some way filtering oil. Centrifuge or filter or both.

Rolly, polly sheep and not one stone out of place on the wall!

Cheers,
Les

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Ben you may have to do what I did some years ago and strip down the gear box. I replaced all the bearings just so that I would not have to open it up again.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Ben you may have to do what I did some years ago and strip down the gear box. I replaced all the bearings just so that I would not have to open it up again.
Thanks for the warning, if perhaps not what one might wish to hear! :eyes:

The gearbox may not be the Dexta's strongest point - indeed I've heard it described as a 'bit weak' in that department.

I read that Stefan had difficulty sourcing some of the bearings - or at least affording some of them!

How long did it take to rebuild yours? Did you have any particular problems, or difficulties sourcing parts? :wink:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi Ben, she looks stunning, even without her bonnet. I like the roll over protection and would love to see some pics of how you made it. I've been thinking about making one for mine.
Beautiful landscape and sheep, now all you need is a good sheep dog to go with all that. Wow, I wonder how long it took them to carry all the rocks out of the meadow and make that fence. That would have taken a long time, and you would have to have a good back as well.
I like her Ben, hope you enjoy her as much as I do mine.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Ben
I replaced all of the ball bearings and seals except the needle bearing, which I can't quite remember where it was located. I did not have much of a problem getting hold of the bearings and seals from various suppliers(One of the suppliers name is "International Bearings"). I did not have to replace any gears as mine looked fine.Being a hobby project there was no rush so you could say a couple of days taking into account that I would spend an hour here and there. Re fitting it back onto the tractor was a bugger as I had no lifting equipment other than a trolley and bottle jack with ropes.

On second thoughts stripping down I would say is the last resort one would take. As you mentioned earlier using ATF might be the better way to go. Okay, you can't see to much crud from the picture, but is it not just surface stuff that would eventually dissolve in the current oil with the heat that will be generated whilst in use? You would then have to replace the oil sooner obviously. Lastly, have you heard any strange noises coming from the gearbox, if not, treat her gently and she will give you lots of pleasure.

Am I right that the ewe standing behind your Dexta in the paddock is due to lamb?

Mervyn

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Am I right that the ewe standing behind your Dexta in the paddock is due to lamb?
Mervyn, She shouldn't be in lamb as they all finished in April. Think she's just grossly fat from the flush of grass we've had from the recent rain, quite a few are looking fat.

Thanks for the info about your GB rebuild - sounds quicker than I thought and good that the bearings are still available. :wink: