Re assembling rear end of my Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re assembling rear end of my Dexta

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Guys, hope someone can help me with a couple of questions. I am about to reassemble the rear end of my Dexta and have read in the manual that the right side trumpet must be fitted first, ie. before you replace the crownwheel. It does not mention whether the axle shaft must also be replaced before the crownwheel. Common sense tells me that it would be easier to have the axle in place then slip the crown wheel onto the spline otherwise you may have a very wobbly issue trying to line them both up if the axle was not secure. Please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree?

Mark
True Blue

Re: Re assembling rear end of my Dexta

Post by Mark »

Hi Mervyn, that's what I would do if it was mine. I had the other side of my trumpet off and renewed the gasket with no problems. It's a heavy bugger so gets some help.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mark
My plan actually worked very well, got my son in law to help me with the right trumpet axle housing, yes it is rather heavy. While I was tightening up the nuts I suddenly realised that I had put the left housing on the right side :oops:, so I had to remove it and swop them. Once that was done I slipped the axle shaft in, secured it to the axle housing and then lifted the crown wheel into position, I was rather proud of myself :wink:. What I have noticed though are the wheel hubs seem to be rather tight to turn with the new seals and bearings, I'm hoping that is normal and will ease in time. The other item I am a bit baffled with is when it comes to adjusting the bearing load. I have read what should be done but does not make sense yet, more than likely I will see it when I have the brake back plates on etc. Thanks for the caution about the weight factor, I did however manage most of the task on my own. :o. Unfortunately I am a very impatient dude and will make any sort of plan to get it done :evil:
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Sounds like you have a "git-r-done" attitude, that's cool. What would we do without our son in laws, lolol. I have one too, and he's a dandy.
Are you talking about the shim's behind the axle housing, that set the preload, that is a quandary for sure. Like you've found out it's not explained very well, it's been a while since I've put mine in, and I'd have to reread it myself, but if memory serves itself, it's all in how many shim's you use, hopefully Brian or one of the others can chime in on this one. Sorry I'm not much help, but anyway you've figured out most of this on your own, so I'm sure you'll figure this out to. Best of luck.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Over this last w/end I did note that I had placed the shims of the right hand side trumpet on the wrong side of the brake back plate :oops: However that assembly was all very temp. just to see how it all fits together. I also still need to remove it all again to paint. The w/shop manual talks of filling or providing the cavity between the oil seal and where the hub bearing sits with grease, I am aware that the grease is for the bearing in the hub, but should one note smear the grease around the bearing as you have a big nut for that grease to pass before it reaches the bearing :?: . When I first decided to put the axles etc. together I used three shims on each side. I do have some spare shims from a spare rear end. I have also noticed that there are different thickness shims but I believe if you use equal thickness shims and numbers on each side you should not have a problem. Anyway I still have to clean up all the parts for the brakes and paint them. Quite a lot of work in that area but I am progressing main thing, thanks for the support. 8)
Mervyn

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I believe if the end of the half shaft can touch , oven by a thou. then they can fusion weld together , that's what the shims r for to keep them apart as well as bearing pre.load

if I understand it correctly :oops:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks for your advice TomLad, what ever I agree something drastic will happen :rulez:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

If you have the bearing off the axle, I would pack the bearing with grease before I put it back on the axle then into the tractor, just smearing grease over the bearing won't work. The way I do it is, I put a couple of tablespoons of grease in my left hand (I'm right handed), then with my right hand I hold the outside lip of the bearing over the grease catching just the edge of the grease while bearing down into my hand. Keep doing that until the grease comes out the other side, then turn the bearing just a little and do the same thing until grease shows through to the other side all the way around, or if you have a bearing packer that would work as well. But I'm sure with all the work you've done, you most likely already know this trick, but just in case, that's the hillbilly way we do it in Kentucky, and no offense to how you do it in South Africa. Anyway she will be a beauty when you get done, and give you many years of pleasure.
I think your right about the shims on each side, make sure when you get both sides on that they don't touch each other. I don't know if turning one whilst watching the other to see if this causes it to turn would work or not. Someone else may chime in here and have some better advice. Best of luck!
Mark
See ya
Mark

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I never fully understood what 'pack it with grease ' really meant until a guy showed me filling the bearing in ur hand as u described , the bearing we packed was getting noisy , we packed it , that's years ago , still fine now :beer:
easy enough if they have a nipple but not without.
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

:cry: :cry: Unfortunately the new seals and bearings have all been put together on the axle with a couple of studs standing proud in the way. The studs are not really a problem as they can be temp. removed. Thanks for the tip on packing the bearing with grease, I will remember that lesson for future bearings. Mark you mention a bearing packer, unfortunately I have never heard of that before. I will Google it and see what it is. I do have a grease gun which I thought might do the trick, anyway I have to make a plan one way or the other. No offence about the South Africa issue :buddies: .

Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

I would get me a needle for my grease gun and see if I could get grease into it that way. It should work, it will be slow going so be patience.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I wasn't successful with obtaining a needle, but tried to be inventive by screwing a grease nipple in to a plastic trimmed taped silicon nozzle. Did not work to great unfortunately so I just pumped grease onto the bit of bearing that was visible and worked it in with my fingers also turning the hub round and too and fro. Made sure there was sufficient grease over the top of the bearing as well which I hope will penetrate when the whole tractor is reassembled. I personally feel much more relaxed now that I was able to pack the grease into the space etc. Patience was the name of the game, thanks Mark. :) It appears that the axles might have been touching inside the crown wheel area as I noticed a bit of burring on the ends of the spline side of the axle, not too much though. put it all back together.
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Your welcome Mervyn, I only wish I could have told you that before you put them back on the axle, but what you did most likely will be sufficient.
You might need to put a really thin shim on each side, (10,000) might sort out your problem, you may have to go a little more. You need just a smidgen of play in them. I don't think you could go fast enough to fuse them together, but you don't want them to touch each other either. I meant to ask you if you had a groove in your axle where the seal runs, if you do now is the time to sort that as well. They make a stainless steel, speedy sleeve that would work. They might cause you to have grey hair installing them though. If you do that, you need some fine emory cloth to hone it done just a bit where it goes on. If you don't have the oil stopped you won't have any brakes.
Can't wait to see her spit polished and in her prime again, whilst going on a Sunday stroll in sunny South Africa.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks for the encouragement and advice Mark, it really has been beneficial :D . With regards the shims if my mind serves me correctly there were three shims each side of various thickness. I might be repeating myself, but I intend adding one more shim on each side. As you say you only require a smidgen of play. No, I do not have a groove from the oil seal fortunately so that's a tick in the box. :D . Yes it will be nice to have her complete and enjoy some trips up into the forest, might come across some lion or elephant, just joking :wink: .
Mervyn

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

:needpics: it would be nice to see what you've been doing to your blue darling. Have a great day.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

:oops: :oops: As soon as I have that rear end plus brakes all put to bed(completed), I promise to send a progress picture. Have a great day and weekend, we are in for some fine hot days :beer:
Mervyn