Fuel Connections

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Fuel Connections

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Just recently our Dexta has been suffering from repeated air locks at the filter and the injector pump. One of the connections at the lift pump has had a weep and on further inspection is inconsistent with others. Here's a photo...

The flow to the pump (nearest in photo) is suspect, and I think this joint is allowing the lift pump to draw air, it doesn't close up fully before the thread bottoms out. Should I simply remake the connection in the same manner as the other, I presume this is just an olive. I have measured the pipe at approx 6mm OD, what size olive should I look for?

Just after a second opinion before I look to remake this joint in my process of elimination...

Thanks for any help, Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Fuel Connections

Post by Bensdexta »

Your suspect connection looks like a recent replacement, available from some repro suppliers.

I think I'm right in saying that these connectors should have a smallish flat rubber washer. Perhaps you can get one?

Or may be you would be better off making up a new 'proper' pipe?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

A 1/4" olive should do it.

Gerald

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

I bought a new primer pump when I restored my Dexta, and it used a flare on the ends. Have you looked back into the holes to see? Your fuel line should me 1/4 inch, as well as the olive, as Gerald has already said. Best of luck.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer