Stabilizer Bar Front Pin

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Stabilizer Bar Front Pin

Post by Bensdexta »

I am working with a 2m wide 'Weaving' harrow. It has two levelling bars at the front and cast star-shaped tines linked by large chain links. Does a good job levelling molehills and anthills etc. I've been using one stabilzer bar, mainly to stop the front of the harrow touching the backs of the tyres.

BUT the front pin for the stabilizer, under the mud guard keeps working loose, despite using a spring washer and threadlocking the nut with Loctite 243.

I'm wondering if it's because the hole in the axle bracket is ovalised allowing the pin to move back and forth, thus causing it to work loose?

Any suggestions appreciated. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Mark
True Blue

Re: Stabilizer Bar Front Pin

Post by Mark »

Ben, you might try the 271 Red locktite, I use it a lot in my shop for things that won't stay tight. Plus you say it's worn into an oval shape, that makes things much worse. Do you have a welder you can weld it solid long enough to get your work done, then this winter fix it proper? I'd try the 271 first, then if all else fails, weld it. And a picture would help explain this a little bit better, for me anyway. Good to see you are working your Dexta again, after she sat in bits for so long. She looked really smart in the last picture you showed us.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

might be a daft question but would there be less load on each side if u had both stabalizers fitted ? left and right .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

tom lad wrote:might be a daft question but would there be less load on each side if u had both stabalizers fitted ? left and right .
Yes, that's my plan, especially when I go topping shortly.

I'm awaiting the arrival of another pin for the other side, so I can fit the 2nd stab bar. Will be loctiting that with 271also, following Mark's suggestion :wink:

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

cool :beer:
what sort of stays r they ? mine r the short turnbuckle ones agriline sell.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

tom lad wrote:what sort of stays r they ? mine r the short turnbuckle ones agriline sell.
No, they are full length, just straight bars about 5mm thick. They came with my topper.

I have some FoMoCo hockey stick bars with two holes at the rear end (CATI & CATII), but they are about 1" too long, so I presume are for a bigger (wider) tractor. Guess I can shorten them. :wink:

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

ok
mine work fine but r a bit 'rigid' I think chain one will have a bit of give , so work better ?