Happy birthday to me

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kiwimc
True Blue

Happy birthday to me

Post by kiwimc »

Sorry, not quite sure where in forum this should go, but pretty excited so couldn't help myself.

Had a significant birthday recently. Added 1960 dexta diesel to my 2 and half majors. Approval from the bank manager - "it's so cute - why didn't you buy this one first instead of the others". Approval from rest of family - "Dad I'm legally allowed to drive it on the farm now I'm 12".

Dual clutch, rear tyres basically brand new and came (delivered 550 km) with topper. Supposedly had some engine work done on it, and it did start when I had it dropped off. A little worried though when I see things like generator bracket 180 degrees out (so pulley 10 mm out of line with fan pulley). Nose cone is FULL of bog, and front axle support bracket has had a significant shunt on one side. How the hell will I pull that out???
I have had minor repairs done to radiator (which still looks pretty rumpty), invested in some new battery and starter leads, and a new full set of hoses (the old ones were wrapped with insul tape!). Generator is at the autoelectrician having the sticks removed (!) and new front bearing fitted. Will give him the starter motor when I see him next.

Concentrating on having it as a runner for the summer topping, but will do more extensive tidying over the NZ winter. Expect more posts and queries particularly when I get to the electrics.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Happy birthday to me

Post by Brian »

Happy Birthday! :clap: :beer:

I do sympathise with the condition of your new tractor, Dotty came from New Zealand and looked as if the All Blacks had been dancing on the bonnet and cowl. :cry: I said at the time that I removed half the North Island from the air cleaner and half the South Island from the radiator and axle support. Sometimes I do not think you respect these little ladies over there. :eyes:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Happy Birthday and congratulations on the new family member!
You just have to like the Dexta diesels. Being a Yank I didn't follow all of your descriptions but I'm sure by next spring you will have her running like a top and looking good. Nice to have the Wife's support too. :lol:
Chris

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Thanks for the welcome Brian & Chris.
Brian did you actually shift Dotty (a dexta?) from NZ to UK?
Not sure which bits you didn't get Chris - I've stared at my post and found 3 things that may not translate across the pacific.

'bog' is filler
a 'topper' is a rotary mower (3pl mounted brush hog??)
the 'sticks' in my generator were just that - wooden twigs
(if there are still bits of indecipherable kiwiana let me know).

I had a preliminary attempt at straightening the front axle support by using a lever against the front axle casting. It flexed, but 'sprung' straight back to the bent position. Suggestions - a bigger lever? gas torch??

John Mc

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dotty was a "make weight" in a container of tractors that a friend shipped back from NZ. There is a short story in the site headings about "Dotty the repatriated Dexta". She is one of those rare beasts, a Petrol Dexta.

Think you might be better getting an axle support from a scrap yard than trying to straighten yours or better still, try it on a 20T press.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

You did a good job on the translation, thank you. :D I never would have figured out that "bog" was body filler. :shock:
I can promise you that when everything is fixed and your enjoying the Dexta, it will all have been worth it.
When I received mine there was a big part of the nose cone was cut out for a pump and the top part was caved in. It took 3 days to fix it but looking at it now it sure was worth it.
How about some photos?

Last edited by Cvans on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

All my photos are on my laptop, not a server. I'm a little green on this aspect, but will talk to a friend about what to do.

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

will talk to a friend about what to do.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Chris

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Cool, another South Island Dexta. Let us know if you need any resources, been through the resto thing with mine.
Regards, Derek.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Hi Derek,
I see you are listed as Blenheim. My Dexta came from a farm on SH1 half-way between Picton & Blenheim. Delivered with a 4 ft topper for $3200. Did you see it on Trademe?
One of the things interesting about it is that under the multiple re-coats of paint, the first re-coat is RED. Did the owner just like red, or was it livery colour of TNL, Safe-Air, some other Marlborough company/contractor???
As described above, I am concentrating on getting it straight for summer jobs. To this end I have sourced odds'n sods from Discount Tractor Parts & Ruakura Motors here in NZ, and a few little bits from Agriline (freight from UK, ouch). The one big thing I am putting off is a new nose cone & chaff screens. Please message me if you know of anything half-way decent.
John

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

kiwimc wrote:The one big thing I am putting off is a new nose cone & chaff screens.
If you possibly can I would repair your old nose cone, chaff screens are not a problem they're cheap. Or get a 2nd hand nose cone, what I did for £100 then had my local body shop beat/repair it. New nose cones are not cheap, never mind the freight, and no guarantee it will fit.

It's amazing what can be repaired, see here:
http://fordson-dexta.fo.funpic.de/50125 ... index.html

But remember, :wink:

:needpics:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

kiwimc wrote: Did you see it on Trademe?

One of the things interesting about it is that under the multiple re-coats of paint, the first re-coat is RED.

To this end I have sourced odds'n sods from Discount Tractor Parts & Ruakura Motors here in NZ
I did see your girl on Trademe. I check out trademe atleast a couple of times a day
Are you sure it's red, and not primer?
I buy just about all my Fordson/Ford bits from John @ DTP, or Steve/Kevin@ Ruakura Tractor parts. Have you looked up the "Bareco' webpage. They have some good aftermarket parts, and both these guys sell Bareco parts.
Look forward to the photos. Don't forget, your 12 year old should be able to put the photos up for you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Hi John, didn't see that listing, who carted it South for you... or did you DIY?

I've also sourced parts from Dunlops in Ireland, off the net and through local FNH dealer. Don't ignore Millars Tractor Spares in Leeston, I even got a towbar from a dismantler in Hawkes Bay, $20 to courier.

Mine has red ochre primer on the bare metal, not a Labour Party tractor. :wink:
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Going to have a go at uploading first photo...

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

.... bugger, didn't work.
Will try my technophile co-worker tomorrow. 12 yr old is in bed.

Thanks for the interest and tips kiwis.
Definitely gloss red enamel paint under 2 more recent coats of blue.

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Having another go. Following the instructions on the forum...
It looks not too bad in this picture, but you can get an inkling of the bodged nose cone. Not so obvious from this view, the mesh is welded in and there is no central bar.

chrism0dwk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chrism0dwk »

Hi John,

Good to find another Kiwi Dexta owner. I have a '63 Super Dexta near Palmerston North. Using it much as you intend to -- topping the paddock, and general maintenance around the block. Mine appears to have been imported by Belcher of Pukekohe, and came with the Belcher FEL. It's a slow process doing her up -- I can't believe how much of the year grass grows, compared to the UK -- fitting bits and pieces in between needing to use her.

Come to think of it, any bright ideas for sourcing cheap(ish) second hand turf tyres in NZ?

Chris