Dexta has a new job.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Cvans
True Blue

Dexta has a new job.

Post by Cvans »

Got the backhoe plumbed this morning and the internal pump runs it just fine. Thanks for your help. It was nice to find that the fill plug on the differential has the same thread pitch as pipe threads so hooking up the return line was a very simple task. :D
This afternoon I dug up two tree stumps and a small tree that was dying. Tomorrow there are a couple of small things to take care of. I would like to build a thumb for it as the next job is to move two rock piles. Picking up the rocks would be much easier with the thumb.
Size wise the New Holland 757C seems to be an excellent match for the Dexta.

Chris

Rocketsled
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta has a new job.

Post by Rocketsled »

Wooaahahaahh....I love it. Goodonya!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

What's the weight of the NH?

Looks like you've got some nose weights on there?

:clap:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Your pretty sharp Ben. There is a front weight bracket on the tractor. I have an Art'sway 6' brush hog (topper) that extends about 8' behind the tractor and weighs 800 lbs. so the front of the tractor got pretty light. The back hoe weight 782 lbs. but is close behind the tractor. There is presently about 250 lbs. of weight on the front. The rear tires are loaded with fluid which adds a bunch of weight to the tractor.
If you look here you can see all the specifications on the hoe.
http://www.triebold.com/products/pdf/ut ... _specs.pdf

I presently
Chris

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks for the info - looks neat! :D

Did you have much trouble attaching it to the tractor - a pic of the frame's attachment would be great!

Happy digging!

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

The mounting is simple. Just hook it up to the 3 point hitch and go. :D
I think originally it did have a sub-frame but it was converted to a three point. Works for me.
Would probably work better on the ford 850 but the internal pump is very low volume. The Dexta works good, just have to be careful not to get too aggressive and break something.
Chris

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

When you lower the feet on the back hoe, what stops the 2PL lifting, or do you lock the 3PL in the down position by means of a bar to the top link rocker, ie do the rear tractor wheels lift off the ground?

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

I can lift the rear tires off the ground but do not do it as then every thing is hanging on the 3-point. The 3-point lifts it easily but I run it all the way down when digging. That way the weight is hanging on the sway chains. If something goes wrong they will be the first thing to break.
I usually put just enough down pressure on the feet to to lift all the weight off of the 3-point so it isn't under such a load. The boom control on this hoe has a float position which is what I use when pulling the dip stick and bucket back toward the tractor. Otherwise your trying to twist the 3-point off of the tractor. I've heard of people breaking the bell housing or 3-point on their tractors by being too rough with them. I'm in no hurry and this sure is a lot better than a shovel.
I like this two stick control system better than I thought. You never need to move your hand from one lever to another.
Chris

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Cvans wrote:I can lift the rear tires off the ground but do not do it as then every thing is hanging on the 3-point. The 3-point lifts it easily but I run it all the way down when digging. That way the weight is hanging on the sway chains. If something goes wrong they will be the first thing to break.
I usually put just enough down pressure on the feet to to lift all the weight off of the 3-point so it isn't under such a load. The boom control on this hoe has a float position which is what I use when pulling the dip stick and bucket back toward the tractor. Otherwise your trying to twist the 3-point off of the tractor. I've heard of people breaking the bell housing or 3-point on their tractors by being too rough with them. I'm in no hurry and this sure is a lot better than a shovel.
I like this two stick control system better than I thought. You never need to move your hand from one lever to another.
Thanks for the explanation. A video would be fantastic!! :D

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

A video would be fantastic!!
My talents with a camera are limited. Photos I can do but my luck with YouTube have not been very successful.
While looking through the parts diagram I just realized that there is suppose to be another link between the back hoe and the tractor. :o
It is a diagonal brace so I'm going to have to come up with something for that. Should make things a lot more rigid. :wink:
Chris

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

nice backactor, looks just right for the dexta, i have a mc connel on my s/d
it weighs about 700kgs ,it lifts ok although i have a set of doubles on the back and
oversize ballon type on the front this helps considerably
i have a cat 2 top link which runs from b/actor to a bracket i have adopted
to take cat 2 pin ,it does not connect to hydrulic top link as this might damage the hyds
it if i hit a bump to rough. anyway good luck with your new toy sky blue

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks Skyblue! Once I figure out how to make things go the right direction I think I'm going to like it. :roll:
Your backactor (1500lbs) weighs almost twice what mine does. That's a big backhoe.
Chris

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

yes it is pretty heavy but the dexta handles it good although it is near enough at its limites
the tpl lift is 1850lb so 1500 is just under this
it needs to be reved up to lift it get it to top of tpl travel, it works well when digging
the back actor is a great bit of kit for any tractor and once you have one youll
never no how you done without it :thumbs:

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

once you have one youll never no how you done without it :thumbs:
I hope your right. :)
I bought this one very cheap so if it doesn't get used a lot It will be OK. Myself and 3 of the kids own acreages so I'm sure it will get used. Now I need to find a 3 point post hole auger. :roll:
Chris

ol'Blue
True Blue

Post by ol'Blue »

I had a JD backhoe loader for 10 years when we lived up in Michigan. It was very helpful, the oddest thing I did with it was to bury a neighbors horse for them. You would not believe how big a hole that takes. And it was day 3 before I got the call. Phew....That hoe looks just right. I think however, if you were to do some serious projects, I would build a axle mount frame.

My first backhoe was bought from my uncle, and it was interestingly enough a Fordson Major. that was a beast. It had a frame mounted unit on it.

dave
1964 Super Dexta, ol'Blue

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

The frame would be a good idea and that became apparent right away. Then I discovered the float position for the boom and that made a huge difference. If this was going to be a tractor designated for the hoe I would definitely look into the frame. Most of the time it will have other chores. I'm also missing a diagonal brace on the hitch and that would help also. Need to get that made.
I would really rather have it on the Ford 850 with the loader. The problem is that the internal pump is too small. Might have to look into a PTO pump. Then I could leave it on the tractor and the rear weight would balance with the loader. I need to give this some serious thought. :scratchhead:

Thanks for your input though. I always try and take suggestion seriously. :mrgreen:
Chris