How should my PTO work and how should I set it up?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Winchester
True Blue

How should my PTO work and how should I set it up?

Post by Winchester »

I bought an old pull behind snow blower for my Super Dexta. And now that I have it on my tractor, I see that I have to set up my tractor to use it.
My Super Dexta's clutch system has two holes on the clutch link. Until now it has been only set up to work with the transmission. I guess I have to move til link to back hole?
This should make the PTO "stop" when I engange the clutch all the way down, right? Do this tractor have live hydraulics? Should the hydraulic work clutch pushed in or let out?

And one more thing, should my hydraulic be stronger/faster when I give more throttle to the engine? Mine seems to work the same, no matter how much throttle I give the engine.
Tom T. Winchester
-------------------------------------------------------
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!

Cvans
True Blue

Re: How should my PTO work and how should I set it up?

Post by Cvans »

Can't help you with the linkage set up but on this Dexta when the throttle is increased the the flow from the hydraulic pump increases also.
Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tom,
The hydraulics pump drives from the PTO drive shaft in the gearbox so when you put the clutch right down when using the PTO clutch, the hydraulics will not work until you let it up. That is why there are two holes on the yoke, in the front hole the PTO drive train does not stop when you put the clutch right down and so the hydraulics will work with no interruption. If you use the PTO clutch by putting the yoke in the rear hole, the PTO gears stop turning and therefore the pump will stop when you put the clutch right down.

Your hydraulic flow maxs out at around 1600rpm.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

I have never used my PTO before. It has never been enganged after I got the tractor. But I have used the hydraulics every winter. Or don't it have to spin for the hydraulics to work? I might have gotten that one wrong :oops:

But I should use the second hole this winter right? So that I can stop the snow blower from turning when not in use. starting and stoppin the PTO without using hte clutch will hurt the gears?
Tom T. Winchester

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is why I was specific and said the pump drives off the PTO drive gears. The pump drives off the gears in front of the PTO selector coupling so the shaft does not spin if it is not in gear but the driving gears do.

On the Major the pump drive is from the rear of the PTO drive train, right up against the last bearing before the spline so the PTO has to spin to get the hydraulics to work.

In theory you do not have to move the clutch yoke, you could put the PTO in gear with the engine stopped then start up but it would get a little interesting if you wanted to stop the snow blower in a hurry. :(

You may find that the PTO clutch is stuck, rusted on to the drive plate, if you have not used it for some time. This is a fairly common problem. If it happens to me I start the engine with the PTO in gear on my brush hog and let it idle while holding the clutch right down. The "lumpy" running soon frees the plates. I have also put the brush hog into work and then, after a few minutes, put the clutch right down again and see if it stops. You may have to do this quite a few times until it frees off.

Do not try and force the PTO into gear with the engine running as this will quickly wear out the teeth in the selector coupling. Also make sure the PTO shaft on the snow blower does not bottom out and push on the tractor PTO shaft. There is only a circlip holding the shaft bearing, in a small groove in the bearing holder. Bottoming out the snow blower PTO shaft can force the circlip out of the groove and possibly break the groove in the housing.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Thank you Brian! I wish I had your knowledge about these tractors ;)

I got it "fixed" today. All worked as it should, I just had to adjust the clutch linkage and change to the other hole.
No I just have to choose between letting the PTO spin all the time, or operating the clutch with my knees above my ears ;)
Tom T. Winchester

hojoos
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hojoos »

I need someone from my area https://worldpostalcode.com/united-stat ... -york-city to work on a similar project together. It could be good to find someone who has already some experience in this sphere. Do you think it is possible to find a colleague in this way? Anyway, if you are reading these lines, and you feel ready for new challenges, feel free to write to my private messages to discuss.