Dexta driving slow

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Vulgunx
True Blue

Dexta driving slow

Post by Vulgunx »

!961 fordson dexta Rev counter broke so not 100% on the revs but have a few friends with dextas and they run rings around me i have taken the mushroom off while driving picks up a little speed but not what i would exspect compared to other dextas i have driven
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

WayneB
True Blue

Re: Dexta driving slow

Post by WayneB »

I had a pneumatic Dexta with a perfect engine, but lack 'uuuoomph' and top end power. Tried everything, but when I pulled the fuel tank valve from the tank the reason was obvious. Fuel flow. When I got my fuel flow right, my top end RPMs were back.
Tractor poor, 59 Dexta, 61 & (3) 62 SuperDexta-s, 68 4000 Ford 4x4, 81 Ford 1100 4x4, 55-HD5G AC Crawler Loader, 1951 CAT D6 9U, 1967 160B Dynahoe backhoe and now a toy JD 850 4x4 loader compact.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

A dirty air filter will result in the engine running slow, ensure that the wire mesh filters are not blocked and that the oil in the bowl is the correct grade and at the correct level.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Is the throttle butterfly opening fully? Check your thottle rods. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

It would be interesting to put a hand held tacho on the PTO to see what revs the engine is governed to.

PTO speed of 540 = engine speed of 1551
Therefore PTO speed x 2.87 = engine speed.
Full throttle should be 2000rpm engine speed = 696 PTO speed

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Hi Gents, Very interesting topic. My 1959 Dexta is really slow. When attending road runs other drivers (including dextas) get annoyed at my wee Bella holding them up. I've actually decided to just pull over and head for home. All other tractors including FE35's FE TE20's seem to all be faster than my Dexta. Took it out yesterday and using two Sat Navs it read a top speed of 12 mph however the Tacho is reading 16mph.

Fuel lines are clear to pump. Air Cleaner is new with clean oil and filter in bowl. Butterfly is open fully at inlet manifold. All filters and fluids have been recently replaced. Is there anything I should be checking at the Simms pump/governors?

For the life of me I cannot figure out why this wee Dexta is so slow. As always I would love to hear from you guys (I am green I admit).

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Wee59, you have the answer to your question. Your tacho has spent the last 50 years bouncing around paddocks and living in the rain. As you say it is not reading correctly, the dam things telling lies. Find somebody with a hand held tacho and put it on the PTO shaft, set the engine rpm correctly, and all will be happy. You will show those Fergies how its done on the next run!

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

pjjms Thanks for your reply. I know that the tacho is inaccurate, using GPS I have a top speed of 12mph. I reckon I have the butterfly fully open, could it be something to do with the governor? cheers

pjjms
True Blue

Post by pjjms »

Yes, I believe you will need to adjust the governor. Google fordson manual and clich on the fordson .se result. Pages 65 and 81 are worth a look.

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Just spent the day with the Dexta. Took it around this morning for a speed trial - 12mph. Brought Bella back to the garage. removed the pipe from the inlet manifold to the governor at both end and blew with an airline - free from blockages.
Checked the oil bath, filter clean and oil clean and at correct level.
Removed the fuel injector air cleaner gauze, not too bad, cleaned with paraffin and blew with air. Replaced, checked tractor RPM and no difference.
Then removed governor diaphragm housing, took out spring and inspected diaphragm, no obvious puncture marks or tears. Removed diaphragm and cleaned thoroughly of gunge etc. Cleaned the seal to make a good seal and replaced.
Started tractor and the needle filled the tractor meter to 2200 RPM!!!! Then took the Dexta for a run using the same sat nav to measure the speed. It reported a steady 17mph which it maintained up the steepest of hills :clap: :clap: :clap:

SO LOOK OUT FE35's and TE20's..........Next road run im coming to get ya!!!!!!!

P.S Also found out that if you remove the Air Pre Cleaner I can achieve an extra 3mph! Maybe it could be 'altered' somehow........lol

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Wee59dexta wrote: SO LOOK OUT FE35's and TE20's..........Next road run im coming to get ya!!!!!!!
I really like that statement!! Everyone here would really like to to see something like that, isn't it? especially when the road run has to take a steep hill climb route then there's the time to outrun those rather nasty grey things!!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Wee59dexta wrote:Also found out that if you remove the Air Pre Cleaner I can achieve an extra 3mph! Maybe it could be 'altered' somehow........lol
But don't overspeed the engine... :cry:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Cleaned the seal to make a good seal and replaced.
Should the governor cover have a seal? I am having similar symptoms but there is no seal!

Thanks
John

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

My apologies there is no 'seal'. I thoroughly cleaned the housing to seat the diaphragm and make a good seal.

pbufton
True Blue

Post by pbufton »

Took a 23c engine'd fe35 fergie for a spin after I'd rebuilt the engine. Found it to be rather slow even flat out in high 3rd. Much prefer the zippy feel of the dexta on the road :)

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I think that you will find that the early Dextas have a higher top speed than the later ones. According to Sparex the ratios changed in August 1960 at SN 957E63953. My Dexta is June 1960 so great for road runs but lacks the flexibility in lower gears.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"