PTO Drive Shaft slips under heavy load

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Winchester
True Blue

PTO Drive Shaft slips under heavy load

Post by Winchester »

I have used my snow blower some time now, but last night was the first time I got to use it after a heavy snow storm. We got about 30 cm of snow, more in the parts of my Shark where the wind did it's job. This was the first time I noticed that the drive shaft would stop spinning and i heard this loud ticking/banging noise from the drive shaft.
But if I backed up some and gave the blower some room it started right up again. What I dont know, is the drive shaft slipping on the grooves in the PTO shaft, or are there some slipping clutch mechanism on my drive shaft that keeps me from overloading the PTO shaft. I can post a picture of the drive shaft if that would help any.

What makes me wonder this is that it takes a bit of heavy load before it does this. If the grooves where slipping, I would think the spline would be rounded and it would stop working. But I workes great up into the point the snow blower are all full. I drive in the lowest gear and in L, but keeping the throttle up to spin the snow blower at an OK speed. So I can't go any slower.
Tom T. Winchester
-------------------------------------------------------
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: PTO Drive Shaft slips under heavy load

Post by Brian »

Tom,

Think I would draw the PTO shaft and check if the circlip on the bearing is still fitted and the bearing is not moving in the housing. Sometimes the ring gets forced out of the grove if the PTO shaft is too short or does not slide easily. The other area to check is the sliding gear behind the PTO selector.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Du har vel slurekobling på fresakselen din.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Tror du det? Det ser ut som en helt vanlig aksling, ikke noe større klokke eller noe slik. Skal legge ut bilde etterpå jeg.

The tractor and PTO works as it should. It's between the PTO and the drive shaft for the trower that somethings is happening.
The PTO spline on the tractor looks brand new, and cloud very well never have been used, as the tractor was owned by the county before I bought it. It was used to move soil and pull a trailer. The female spline on the trower drive shaft could look some worn if I force myself to be negativ. But neither that looks worn to the point that it would make this loud noise.
Tom T. Winchester

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

I tried to do some research tonight, and if I have understood this correctly the drive shaft for my snow blower has what in norway is called a smatre shaft. Smatre by the sound it makes when it release. These are set to release at different torque settings. Just like a torque wrench. Mine must be worn to where it release at a to low torque.

This is my shaft:

Does this sound correct to you?
Tom T. Winchester

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

yes you are correct
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That sounds like a good idea, prevents a lot of problems in the drive line.

The other thing it might be is an "over run clutch" which works like a ratchet and allows the implement to keep turning after the clutch is pressed so you get no shock loadings. Very useful when you do not have a "Live Drive" tractor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

I guess it's time to buy a new one then. It's worn to the point that it strugle to spin the snow thrower :)

And again, thank you all for the help on this forum. I would be lost some times without it :)
Tom T. Winchester

justjamiefarming
True Blue

Post by justjamiefarming »

To me, it sounds more like a slip clutch problem than a tractor problem.

There is the same slip clutch on our rotary pasture topper which releases on over-run.
It was like that when I found it.... & I wish I had left it alone!

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

I guess this shaft is ment for implement with need for less torque. what you need is a shaft with security pin that snap in case of overload.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi