Petrol Dexta Register

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Greg Z
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Greg Z »

Hello all,

I acquired a used tractor last summer (Ontario Canada), and after discovering this forum I am pleased to see that there are a number of active users out there that I can turn to with questions about the blue monster.

Upon browsing the forum and seeing that what I had was a fairly rare petrol Dexta, I thought that I would get the some of the numbers from it for your register. Unfortunately when I went up to check the summer cottage in February where it is stored for the winter, the -25 C killed my flashlight after a few minutes.

The numbers I did get are:

Serial No; 959E75936
Engine : FPL 759E
Left Axle code: B21F

If I am reading this correctly that means the tractor was made after Feb 21 1961.

I`ll try to get more casting codes this weekend as the snow has melted and the weather is looking pretty decent.

Greg Z

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome Greg and thanks for the numbers which I will add to my list.

The first petrol Dexta was built in November 1960. Mine has one 1960 axle.
Last edited by Brian on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Lesfen
True Blue

Post by Lesfen »

Greg,
Congratulations on your purchase and finding this great forum! It's been most helpful to myself and others.

Brian,
Was not the 1st Petrol Dexta assembled Nov/60 rather than Nov/61?
Cheers,
Les

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are right Les! Finger slipped!!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Greg Z
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Greg Z »

I was able to find two more casting codes.

Right Axle B23F
Gear Case B23F

So looks like most of the tractor was manufactured around the same time.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are parts lists for the petrol engine? Are any external parts such as the starter, fuel pump, water pump, air cleaner etc common to the petrol and diesel engines? Is it possible to buy parts for the petrol engine (not that I need any at this time - knock on wood)

One thing I would like to get is a proofmeter or suitable substitute as the needle on mine appears to have twisted off and is at the bottom of the case.

Cheers,

Greg Z

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Greg,

I now have 25 tractors on my list thanks to everyone who has sent me numbers. We still need more!! There are at least another 3975 still out there!

Best place for parts is the Massey Fergy dealers as it is the same engine as fitted to the petrol MF35 for a short while and a lot of the parts are the same as the TE series tractors.
Brian

Greg Z
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Greg Z »

Brian,

Thanks for that info. It's good to know that there is a possibility of fixing the engine should problems develop in the future!

Cheers
Greg Z

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Update on the register.

We now have 24 tractors on it. We need more. Please register! I am only recording the tractor details and not any personal information apart from Country and first name or handle of the owner.

We need engine number, serial number and as many date codes as you can find.

So far we have: 10 . Australian, 6 . Canadian, 1 . New Zealand (-2), 1 . USA, 3 . England (+2), 1 . Holland, 1 . Ireland, 1 . Denmark.

Two of the New Zealand ones have come home so I have included them in the English total.

When you think that the Ford idea was to make a tractor for the colder areas of the world, it seems a lot ended up in Australia. (or is it that Barry is working harder for me?)

Come on chaps! there are only around 4000 out there! we must find more than 24. :o
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Chaps,

I have been asked to write a small piece on petrol Dextas for The Ford and Fordson magazine. If there are any more numbers, tractors or details out there, please let me know so I can include them.
Brian

Farmerg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Petrol Dexta Register

Post by Farmerg »

I have a Dexta petro model and I’m living in Nova Scotia, Canada. The serial number is 09B712994, Engine # FPL2404E, Transmission # 957E7005, and case# 957E 750 C.

I spent 2 winters rebuilding it to good working order and found it very tough finding petro parts. I got them from England,USA, Australia and very few from Canada. Could someone tell me what year mine is from these numbers? I’m putting mine up for sale soon as I’m disabled and to the point where it isn’t comfortable for me to be operating or working on vehicles anymore.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Petrol Dexta Register

Post by Billy26F5 »

1962 petrol Dexta, the numbers from the transmission and case are part numbers, there are casting codes everywhere.
Sandy
ImageImageImage