Rare dexta handbrake?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Vulgunx
True Blue

Rare dexta handbrake?

Post by Vulgunx »

So a guy is selling this handbrake on ebay and wanting £750!!! I thought this was the early dexta type handbrake?
Owner of a 1961 fordson dexta restyled model :)

Noblett
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Rare dexta handbrake?

Post by Noblett »

I don't know if this is a rare hand brake or not. I have one for my Dexta and it has a brass plate identifying it as made by Western Engineering from Delabole in North Cornwall. It comes with a replacement brake rod that the hand brake lever attaches to and is fixed to the bolts that hold the gearbox and hydraulic casings together. I live in Cornwall and have seen quite a few around here and I believe it was sold as an optional extra as the early Dextas just had the turn buckle as a hand brake . Hope this helps john

dextasteve
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dextasteve »

I have a handbrake like that on my 58 Dexta. Pawl and rachet well worn. I'm going to rebuild it.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Dont know about being rare but there is no way I would be paying that for a handbrake ratchet and pawl.
My Dexta is one of the first ones being a Feb/March 58 serial #274 and they were fitted with this type of simple handbrake. It wasnt fitted with one when I got it and managed to pick up the whole assembly from a guy on gumtree for 30 quid.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

750! That for the handbrake or the tractor.
62 Super Dexta.

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Hi All. My handbrake is the early pawl type as pictured above in Charlie63's post, the 58 model. I have the pawl but not the lever with the thumb handle. Does anyone know where I can purchase this or indeed who can make one?

Thanks

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Hi,
I may have a spare one lying around that came off my tractor as when I was looking for parts for mine I managed to get everything from a guy locally. The thumb part I had but the other part was missing. I'm not home for another 4 weeks so if your not in a hurry I will have a look when I get home and let you know.

Regards
Charlie.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Wee59Dexta,

Ive hunted high and low and turned everything upside down in my workshop to try and find the parts that you are looking for without any success im afraid. I came across the box that I thought they were in but they werent there. Ive obviously put them in a safe place lol. I did see a complete assembly for sale on E-bay by fordsondexta13 who I have dealt with a few times. See below link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-Dext ... SwgwFdZlXH

Regards
Charlie

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

A friend of mine bought one of these handbrake assemblies recently and it cost him £150.00.

Gerald

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

One for sale here in County Donegal, Ireland too reduced now to €185 euro.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/vintagemachi ... e/23680313

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Hi Charlie, many thanks for your efforts (I pm'd you by the way). Although I haven't been on the forum for a while I want to put on record I appreciate your time and consideration.

Will

Wee59dexta
True Blue

Post by Wee59dexta »

Can anyone tell me type of.pin fastener attached the handbrake thumb pawl to.the shaft please?

Cheers in advance

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Will,

It is a roll pin that holds the thumb pawl on the shaft. I cant remember the size but will measure it tomorrow and let you know. If you check my picture on earlier post and enlarge you will see how it fits together.

Charlie.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Will,

The roll pin is 11/4" long x 1/4" diameter for the handbrake thumb pawl. If you PM me your address I will send you over one as I had a few spare in my workshop.

Charlie.